Why is there air in my kitchen pipes?

About a month or so ago I noticed that sometimes when I turn on the water in the kitchen I get that popping noise that indicates air in the pipes. Happens for both hot and cold. Doesn't happen anywhere else in the house (two bathrooms, washing machine).

What would cause that?

I know zero about plumbing. I don't know if I need to call someone or can I ignore it?

thanks.

Reply to
JaneB

ironmike

It's definitely sounds like air. Makes the same sound I hear when we turn the main water back on after it's been shut off for a while.

One more thing - we have a bathroom that backs up to the kitchen. They share some of the pipes. The bathroom faucets do not make this noise so it's somewhere in the kitchen pipes only. I don't see any leaks under the sink. As for what's going on in the wall, who knows.

Reply to
JaneB

Jane,

It is not air. It is the faucet. It only sounds like air. Air can't get in from a leak in the water pipe. If there's a leak, like you suspect, then water would be squirting out of the pipe, and not air entering the pipe. It might be the sprayer, or diverter, or some other loose or worn part inside the faucet or shutoff valve underneath. You can live with it (which is OK if it's not too irritating), or wait till it gets worse, or call a plumber.

Reply to
ironmike