Peninsula kitchen sink vent

I have a kitchen sink that is on a peninsula cabinet. That is, it is not a complete island, and the plumbing comes to it through the half-wall behind it. The original construction had a bar level counter behind the sink, sort of giving it about a foot of back-splash wall. The vent(1

1/2" pipe) for the drain(2") goes up about 14 inches from where the sink drain joins the vertical drain pipe and then elbows to run horizontally to the full height wall where it then elbows to the vertical to go to the roof. The horizontal run (1 1/2" pipe) is just slightly above the top of the sink.

I want to lower this horizontal run (3 1/2') about six inches so that I can lower this wall, so I can make the bar flush with the rest of the counter and the sink top when I install new counter tops. The horizontal run will still be about 8 inches above where the sink drain joins the vertical drain pipe. There is nothing joining this vent pipe between this sink and the roof.

Is this a problem?

I've seen on the web where a horizontal vent pipe is supposed to be 6 inches above the flood level of the sink, but I want to beleive that this one does not qualify as horizontal since it really, ultimately, proceeds un-interupted to the roof.

Thanks,

--Ron

Reply to
Ron

that will be fine. yes it would be better if you kept the horizontal. run above the sink. as long as you start the vent above the centerline of the drain and keep it level or pitched upward then it is allowed by code.

Reply to
Ned Flanders