leaking spigot coupler

What is wrong with people handling garden hoses?

I found myself having to replace the hose coupling several times a month. I have an exterior spigot and I usually have a brass "Y" coupler connected to it. One one side of the "Y" I leave it open the other side I connected a garden hose to it. So every once in a while I had someone come by to either do pest control, or repair stuff, or pressure wash something, or maintain the pool etc...they need to use water. Pretty much every time they will end up breaking my hose coupling. Either they strip the threads or cause it to leak. I think they don't turn and unscrew the coupling from the spigot, they just try to yank it off with brute force. So I have to cut the hose and put in a new coupling. Sometimes they even use my garden hose and have to attach their own fitting on the other end and that usually result in breaking the couplings on both ends.

I don't understand why they kept breaking it.

Now this time I had someone pressure washed a driveway. After he is done I know the hose coupler has to be replaced, cause when I turn the water on it shoots out to the side again in all directions, it's practically impossible to turn the water on or off without getting soaked.

Except this time the problem was not the plastic coupler on the hose, I replaced that already and it is still leaking. Here is an image:

I have indicated in blue lines where the water is jetting out when I turn on the spigot. It is not the black coupler attached to the hose. It is the metal coupler above it. However I tried removing it with a plier, no luck. It is locked tight. I tried for 2 hours and ended up stripping the metal. This is the part I need to replace but it's not coming off. I tried WD40 and still no luck.

When I looked closer I am not sure this is a coupler. May be it's a vaccum breaker? I am not sure. When I have no hose connected at all and turn it on it still jets everywhere so I don't think it's back pressure. How can I get this thing off and replace it?

By the way is this thing a spigot or a bibb?

Thanks!

Reply to
MiamiCuse

It's a boiler drain.