electric water heater

Hi,

It seems as though my water heater stops working when it gets cold out (40-55 degrees). The unit is new, and it is inside of the house. This is an electric unit, and we replaced the unit because of these same symptoms. It is on a 240 line, all by itself. If anyone has any ideas, I would be thankful.

thanks,

Brian

Reply to
brian

The element burns out?

How many elements?

How much wattage per element?

What size circuit breaker on the water heater?

What type of heat do you have?

Reply to
Mark Monson

Sounds like maybe a Peak Demand controller or something. Do your neighbors have the same problem?

Reply to
Pipeline9000

Hi,

I figured it out, I checked the voltage on the hot water heater. No voltage, I checked after the circuit breaker, no voltage, I checked before the circuit breaker, no voltage. I called the electric company, they came out. It was actually on a timer (outside), which was 30 years old. That was the off-peak meter, which was being shut off from 1-8pm. That is why the electric was acting intermittent, not because of the time, but because the timer was whacked out. Now the new digital meter only shuts off 2 hours a day, instead of 8. The off-peak meter charges me only half the cost of the electric.

I am sorry I didn't specify, I just got this water heater not long ago. And the elements are encased in ceramic, and it is on a whole house filter as well. The problem was hard to troubleshoot, because the outside timer was intermittent. The new digital meter runs great now, and it shuts off less hours in the day (note: that wasn't the problem). Now I am looking into rewiring my Heater unit to use the off-peak voltage system as well. I have 2 separate 240v lines coming in as well as 110v.

Everything is great now. I am debating on weather to install the jumper bar kit to make it go to 5000W.

Reply to
brianz

Also, the timer went totally bad, the problem was not just because the timer was off from 1-8pm. I forgot to mention that, I am going to have to follow up on what my other timers look like outside. They are hidden behind some bushes, so I didnt get a close look when the electric company was replacing the timer.

Reply to
brianz