Basic pluming question please!

Dear NG, I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth floor. In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same "main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question, what is the professional name for the "main drain"? . The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

Reply to
slakka

Dear NG, I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth floor. In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same "main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question, what is the professional name for the "main drain"? . The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

Reply to
slakka

Most plumbers wouldn't think in terms of a "main drain" unless they were talking about a house. I'm assuming there is no toilet hooked on to this drain, and I assume it's just the drain for your apartment. If these things are true, then, just call it the drain for the tub and sink. The main difference the plumber would need to know is that it's just a small pipe instead of one large enough to carry sewage.

But piping in a large apartment building can be tricky, and your pipes might tie into other pipes. In any case, it's a headache for your landlord (unless you own your apartment).

Just for fun, those of use in the rest of the USA might be curious how much plumbers in Manhattan charge by the hour. Write back and let us know.

Reply to
ironmike

If there are toilets on the pipe it is called a Soil Stack (I am assuming it is vertical) If no toilets it is called a Waste Stack

Reply to
Dale

The term would be "horizontal branch drain" off a branch interval of the soil stack.

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs