replace clear finish on sink tub and toilet

i have them clean. I only want to protect and shine them up, not paint them.

Reply to
Sammie

You may want to replace the toilet in your bathroom for a number of reasons. Perhaps you have a cracked toilet, an antiquated model or one that uses a significant amount of water.

Reply to
Anonymous

I have never seen a transparent ceramic/porcelain coat. My guess is that nothing really, truly sticks to polished ceramic surfaces, least of all in the presence of water. And so all the tub/sink repair finishes are hoping to create a thick enough layer of coat which would "envelop" the sink or tub and stay on not only by adhesion to the surface but also as a sort of a wrap. Since the layer is rather thick, it is probably off-color if left at its natural color and so those varnishes are all dyed from white to black and every designer color in between. The original glossy top layer on ceramic surfaces is pretty much glass glazing, as far as I understand the ceramics manufacturing process, and it would be really difficult to reproduce all its characteristics of transparency, hardness and adhesion to ceramics using polymer resins, which what all those re-finishing products are.

Anyway, these sink/tub re-finish varnishes are usually peeling off in just a matter of months after application. I think your best bet is to actually polish it with a polishing/lapping paste to its natural shine and then keep repeating the process when it becomes dull again.

Reply to
homeowners