Will a patio of pavers necessarily kill a live oak if built eight feet from the base of the tree?

Hi! We would like to build a patio of pavers off the back of our home. The edge of the patio would be about eight feet from the base of a mature (northern red?) oak tree (with a diameter of about 2.5 feet). Do you think the root system would be deep enough we wouldn’t disturb it with a base? Would raising the base a few inches and investing in a more penetrating base be enough to preserve the tree? We hate the thought of damaging it. Thanks for your help!

Reply to
SharynR

Nope, it'll still let water and air through and a root here and there won't do it in. However, a root may upset the pavers in the future. But, that's the beauty of pavers, they can be removed for the root removal and be re-laid like nothing happened.

Reply to
Anonymous