How to prune the top of a 30 foot oak tree so it's a 20 foot tall oak tree

I've a 30-foot tall oak tree blocking my view from my bedroom window that I wish to prune the top of.

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

Is there a good technique for topping such a tree? I'm worried that the result will look clipped but I also don't like the tree blocking the view.

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so, or will it kill the tree?

These oaks are year round green. They drop leaves, but always grow new ones, so, they're always green. I think it's called a California live oak.

Any topping suggestions? It's about a foot and a half in diameter at eye level and about 30 feet tall. I want it to be about 20 feet tall.

Ideas appreciated.

Reply to
arkland

I am not a tree expert, but I have read from several sources that topping trees is bad for the tree.

My first suggestion is talk to a tree expert, perhaps your county has a department or office for these sort of things. In Texas, we call them county agents.

Second, I suggest that you forgo your view from upstairs, and perhaps start exploring your area for other impressive views that you can visit to satisfy your view hunger.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

You're wasting your time. Cut it down and plant a tree that doesn't get over 20 ft. OR live with it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

just call a tree service and have them top it out. It won't hurt it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

It would be dangerous to put the chainsaw on top of the ladder so you could reach the top. Remember - never stand on the top rung of a ladder or on a chainsaw.

Sue?

RicodJour

Not like that would necessarily be a bad thing from a Darwin standpoint (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Sounds similar to a situation my friend had. They have a lakefront cottage that had some really nice trees. The lake area used to be a sleepy little place until a second ring of properties were built. So it is basically nice little lakefront cottages ringed with giant McMansion "cottages". They went out to their cottage only to find the trees had been cut down at the direction of a McMansion cottage owner because they wanted to improve *their* view.

Reply to
George

Exactly, they know what they are doing and have the proper equipment and will be done in no time. My neighbor had some large trees topped last year like that. He made a deal with a tree company that they could do it whenever they were in the area. The trees are filling out nicely.

Reply to
George

The NEW GROWTH will be very weak, tend to grow straight and look wierd, the remaing top may rot.

Sadly he will be creating a long term hazard.

Some selective pruning to open up a view is a better choice, cost less and avoid future hazards

Reply to
bob haller

quoted text -

Agreed, topping just results in rot that will weaken the tree. It's a tree that will try to grow to a height of 75 to 100 feet. If a 20 tree is what you want you need to cut it down and plant a more appropriate tree.

Our neighbors up the street cleared the "natural" area in the front corner of their lot. Presumably because they didn't want large trees in front of the house. The they planted a maple tree where they cleared. I just don't get why people plant these trees that get huge and then complain when they get huge. There are lots of nice trees that don't get oevr 20 or 30 feet tall that are suitable to be close to a house.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Or raise your house by 10 feet :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Just take 10' off the bottom

Reply to
JB Kerney

Dang! Haller said someth--

Reply to
dpb

Move your bedroom downstairs and enjoy the view. Before you know it you will be too old and feeble to make it up the stairs anyway. The consensus of opinion here is that topping the tree is a just not a good idea.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Don't be a barbarian..... if you don't want a 30' tree, cut the whole thing down & plant a tree that only grows to 20'. Or leave the tree alone & "get over" your view.

Topping a tree in an attempt to make it conform to your space or aesthetic will result in a deformed tree.

Trees have a natural size & shape. You can prune, thin or sculpt within those limits but just topping a tree will result in unnatural growth patterns. In your case..... a 20' oak bush.

I live on a street in SoCal where oaks are our parkway trees. My original tree (planted in 1930) lasted until 1980. California oaks need a summer dormancy brought on by lack of water....suburban yard watering precludes the summer dormancy & shortens the tree's life.

The replacement tree (now 30 years ago) is nearing 30', I planted it as a very nice 15 gallon specimen which has outperformed oaks planted at the same time as 24" box specimens . My neighbor's tree (~1950) is probably near 50' and close to the end of its life.....so goes the cycle.

If you're insistent on "topping" this tree (hopefully an infraction, subject to a fine in your area) just find someone with a truck, ladder & a chainsaw. A true arboritist would never execute on this plan, they might be able to thin or prune to get closer to your desires but you need a smaller tree.

I'm guessing (& I hope I'm wrong) but the typical view enamored SoCal resident doesn't really care about a tree that is blocking their view. :(

Perhaps a thinning would give you your view without destroying a tree.

If you're young & agile, your ladder & chain saw might do the trick.

If you're old & experienced (like me) learn to enjoy the tree.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

That's a knotty suggestion, Bob. =3D:O

I'll leave the 'wood' rimshot for someone else.

RicodJour

From a purely practical side, cutting ten feet off the top of a thirty-foot tree will make for a very, very ugly view. I'm getting the feeling this is a troll's question ..... the OP surely has considered how often he would have to take off the top of this (mutilated) tree once it is "topped". On the practical side, topping a large tree can make it considerably deformed and weak, subject to coming down on the house in a storm. Curious about the view OP wants to preserve.

Reply to
norminn

My front yard maple got topped by a terrible storm perhaps 12 years ago. big power outages for days.

well the entire top of the tree broke off.

Since then I have topped the tree perhaps 5 or 6 times. it provides some really needed shade and a home for wildlife.

but its days are numbered, the top keeps rotting out and i have no choice but make it shorter.

a few more toppings and it will be a over sized bush.......

Reply to
bob haller

No, the Darwin approach would be to excavate under the tree and lower it by the required amount :-)

Nobody's mentioned a periscope yet, either.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

JB Kerney wrote the following:

Great answer.