Secret to having two flower spikes?

Is there a secret to getting a plant to grow two spikes? Many of the plants in my local nursery are small but have two spikes.

A few of my plants are on their second blooming but the all have only one spike. I'm happy they are blooming of course but wondered if there was more I should be doing.

I don't do anything different whether they are in bloom or not. Since they are doing quite well I'm hesitant to make changes but maybe I should??

I have them in a window that gets filtered morning sun. I feed the orchid food with every watering. I only water when they feel on the dry side.

One more question - I just got a new Phal and I notice that there is styrofoam on the bottom of the pot with moss as the planting medium. I bought it in a very reputable nursery where I've purchased many other orchids. I have a few with the moss but this is the first one with the styrofoam. Is that OK? It's gorgeous right now with many flowers and buds.

Reply to
Jane