How's the weather with you?

Hello all you orchid lovers on this world wide boxing day

I see that some of you in the far north are having a bad time weather wise with snow and sleet and cold weather generally. I thought you might spare a thought for us poor souls who reside on the other side of our great planet. No folks, we are not freezing as you are! Indeed quite the opposite. Our Xmas day had all the doors and windows open and the air conditioner (Swamp Cooler to you. A very large one on the roof of the house) going flat out. It was only 40.1C and our meat and salad Xmas diner really fitted the bill. Lots of open wine bottles and a good time was had by all. That was yesterday!! Today it got hot! 44.8C!!!! I spent most of the day staying out of the heat and watching the cricket on TV (Boxing Day Test between Oz & India). Every hour or so I would run? race? ...no, just go outside and spray water willy nilly (or the opposite of whatever that is). Temps in the greenhouse reached 36C and were kept that cool by another swamp cooler and lots of water sprayed in the aforementioned willy nilly fashion.

Funny old world isn't it

Tony

Reply to
emntee

Hi there Tony, I was just thinking about the weather in S.Africa where my relatives are. S. California is more Mediterranean but it gets cold enough for my old bones & joints. 40 something degrees?

Anyway, I have a swamp cooler for my g/h & our summers. Also have misters & fans that keep things cool. Someone said that if you put a layer of red brick chips down on the g/h floor it also helps as the brick absorbs water.

Reply to
Wendy7

Gorgeous here yesterday, in spite of the wine (or because of it!). Around 74 degrees. Today is a little cooler, still nice, but it's been windy and gray, so it doesn't feel as lovely. A good day to lay about.

Diana South FL

Reply to
diandfrank

Ok, so the Christmas Day storm that dumped 6-8" in Denver somehow skipped Longmont and we got 3/8 of an inch. Yes. in the mm range. We are making up for it today. I think John said 3 inches when he shoveled this AM and it has been snowing ever since.

Ski bums - the high country = UP top has gotten up to 19" in the first storm and I know not what today. It is a great ski snow, a very dry snow.

Feeling sorry for my self watching the electric heater try to pick up the furnace's slack. And the meter reader was here today. <ouch> The snow is hung up on the shadecloth so the sun can't even reach the gh. (If it ever gets out from behind that snow cloud.) Now the wind wants to redistribute the snow on the ground.

Hope someone has great blooms posted on ABPO.

SuE

SuE

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow! I haven't had time to get over to abpo, and I'm sure I've missed a lot.

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

I need those pix Diana. It was -4 this am. Should have been 3 above. I thought I left this stuff in the Midwest when we moved here. SuE

SuE