Good minicatts?

Hey everyone,

With my new Orchidarium, I've got the ability to grow some minicatts. Unfortunately, minicatt in the greenhouse world can be a GIANT in my Orchidarium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on *really* small minicatts, under 6" blooming size. I plan on mounting whatever I get, rather than growing in a pot.

I have good humidity and a temp range of 60-70 to 80 depending upon how warm it is outside. As we move into winter, my days aren't hitting 76, 78, 80 like they were 2 months ago, but my nights are staying at 60-62.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF

Eric Hunt

Sophronitis? S. cernua et al but there's a Soph argh... very small, coccinea shape...Rubra? (an old name...) anyway J&L has these, but you'd probably do better to get them locally or from Andy's. L alaorii (Alan Koch has these) Or any of the L pumila types - plus the L. dayanas at SBOE looked great.(you had some good one's in your recent page)

I mention species becasue I know you are a species nut.

What else is fun.... golly I can't think. Most Mini cats are going to be rather big... or sprawly.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

S wittigiana is what I was thinking of. brevipedunculata is nice too. Fordyce had some of the best coccineas - a 4N from Japan that he uses in breeding, but maybe a piece escaped into other hands. Fred Shull is selling off his collection, he may have some of these, or at least some advice. Dennis Olivas may have some too. I *think* Fred Shull will be selling at the Paph House's (Fred & Francisco) open house Dec 2. Alan Koch made a hybrid with L praestans and L alaorii that I thought was gorgeous. No name yet.

K Barrett