Chewing Critters

My GH has been invaded by something that's very fond of chewing on buds and rarely on leaves. Careful search has turned up no snails, slugs, diabrotica or mole crickets, which do a similar number on my roses. Cyhalothrin appears not to discourage the critter. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tom Walnut Creek, CA Nikon D200

Reply to
tbell

Wendy7

Those grasshoppers - luber grasshoppers love Dends! I forget where you are. We do see them in FL. Big suckers.

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:33:10 -0700, Diana Kulaga wrote (in article <%iixi.11457$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews7.bellsouth.net>):

Thanks, all. Whatever it is seems to prefer large, Catt type buds, and has eaten holes in the leaves of a frangipani I keep in the GH. Mole crickets do very much the same as grasshoppers, but they're both large enough I should be able to see them. Around here (inland No. CA), we have rats from the canal, but no field mice, Kath!

Tom Walnut Creek, CA Nikon D200

Reply to
tbell

I am in middle TN where the drought is severe. We just had 3 weeks of 99 to

106 F temps. If I see another one on my plants I will bring them back indoors. One of the Phal's nice new leaves has a quarter size hole chewed in it. This insect chewed right through the Den' flower stalk, leaving the flowers and buds laying there on the floor. I could have cried.
Reply to
Manelli Family

Nope. The one I caught eating the orchid was about 2' long and all bright spring green. The lubber isn't shown to be in TN.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Are you sure you do not have a rabbit with a fondness for flower stalks? Rabbits are noted for cutting off the stem and letting it fall.

On the other hand - when we got grasshoppers they came in as tiny fry and would eat the leather leaf of a full sized catt with out blinking. By that time they were big enough for Diana's descriptions. But I never saw them until they were as big as my thumb, only the damage. SuE

SuE

Huh. When I was googling it, I found references to TN. Also, the Lubber goes through color stages and it does reach 2". Oh, well. Maybe a rabbit like Sue mentions below.

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Thanks to all, especially Wendy and the Manellis, for chiming in. I stalked the critters at 11 last night, and was gratified to find and savagely destroy two slugs! Now I just hope they were the only ones; I spread metaldehyde on the GH floor around the air intake vent.

Tom Walnut Creek, CA Nikon D200

Reply to
tbell

Slugs are snails -- if you squished them you just seeded the entire location and everywhere you walk. They are hermaphrodites and self fertilize. So I hope you used another method of dispatch.

SuE

SuE