Orchid Greenhouse

I am considering building a greenhouse for my orchids. It is the humidity that I want/need. Living in Southern California, low temperatures are not much of a problem.

Also, seems like most orchid growers in the area (Normans, SBOE) use shade cloth or opal translucent polycarbonate panels overhead.

I am looking for a greenhouse kit with these opal translucent polycarbonate panels for the roof. All that I can find seem to use clear panels.

What are you folks using? Clear glass/polycarbonate with shadecloth or opal panels?

Also seems that clear glass would make the GH hotter than heck, even with the use of shadecloth.

Thanks for any advice.

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito

On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:27:31 -0700, Uncle_vito wrote (in article <sYidnUgTpqSw97fVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@linkline.com):

Up here we have both extreme heat (2-3 weeks or so > 100? in Summer) and some cold (2-3 weeks or so of frost with 20s and 30s in Winter). I built a Charley's Greenhouse Solar Gro kit with polycarbonate twin wall, a gravel floor, an under bench misting system, and an exhaust fan. I also use a metallic shade screen during the Summer. This has kept my orchids alive without a cooler except when a power failure and surge triggered the GFCI while I was away for a weekend.

Tom Walnut Creek, CA Nikon D200

Reply to
tbell