OT; Aluminum frame greenhouse & frost

I put up a used Aluminum frame greenhouse last spring and this is my first experience with this type. (My other one is wood framed) Now that the temperatures are dropping into the single digits my frame looks like the inside of a never defrosted freezer. My question is there any way to prevent this?

Reply to
Dusty

Bubble insulation or parafin heater maybe. Thanks Keith

Reply to
Keith Kent

Hi Dusty, i think no matter how well insulated a greenhouse is ,unheated you will always get a touch of frost inside.Especially when there are long periods of cold weather ,the same would apply to any dwelling if left unheated.All you can do is reduce the heatloss so the extremes are not so great so you can maintain the min temp you require.In my ali greenhouse i used 6ft by 3ft by 1 inch thick polystyrene insulation panels for the lower half to just above bench height,the rest of the glass is insulated with greenhouse bubble wrap which is thicker than the normal stuff and the air bubbles are bigger giving better insulation.You can get fixings for doing this for a ali greenhouse.I can keep the min temp i require which is around

60f ,without this it was impossible and costly.(it is still costly however)!Also on the outside lower 4ft i used wooden fence panels to clad ,mainly to protect damage from the glass.I would advise anyone IF growing orchids not to use a aluminium greenhouse,mine will soon be used for general use not orchids.But growing orchids is a progression which does grab you and from talking to other orchid growers no matter what size/type of greenhouse they have are not fully happy and will soon fill to the rafters! Thanks Keith
Reply to
Keith Kent