Advice for phals

I have five phals in full bloom. Most are also growing new leaves and most have roots growing on top of soil.

I understand the potting mixture tends to break down and should be replaced regularly. How often? How often do I need to increase the size of the pot. Sounds silly, but I'm running out of space and if I have to get bigger pots for all five plants I'll have to get rid of one, which I really don't want to do.

Another question: I tend to water my phals every 10 days or so but I notice that the top of the soil get very dry. I've been misting the top every few days. They seem to like it, but is that a good idea?

Finally: I have an oncidium that hasn't been in bloom for about 10 months. It's growing leaves like crazy and is also growing very fine white roots. I have it in the same place with the phals. It gets strong, filtered sun for about 5 hours in the morning. If that's not enough light then I will have to let someone else adopt it. Should I give it away or wait a little longer?

thanks!

Reply to
Jane