Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone used Roxul insulation?
It seems to be great. Cheaper than Pink, more R value, better sound proofing. I'm in Canada but here is the USA site. http://199.202.236.133/usa/
8

unfinished attic - new insulation
I have a 1940's house with an unfinished attic. I would like to add insulation to the roof and use the space as an office. First, my roof rafters are a non-standard spacing of 20" on center, instead...
6
6

Aluminum soffit J-Channels
I am planning on installing aluminun soffits on my garage. The supplier I bought the materials from gave me J-Channels but they do not have any nailing slots. What is the proper way to install...
2
2

cleaning vinyl siding?
I have white vinyl siding,on one part of the house I have a bunch of small black specks,not sure what it is ,but they are hard and also hard to clean off,I suspect they may be some type of insect eggs...
2
2

Good polish for natural marble?
I have just bought a new table with a large marble slab as its top. Given the cut marks and high price, I am guessing it is natural, quarried marble. What is a good cleaning and polishing product for...
3
3

Playhouse Ideas?
I'm about to consult with an existing customer on building a playhouse. They had been considering a kit (I'm not sure which one) that was $13K for materials, but they want to do something a bit less...
16
16

Intermittent clogged drain issue
Hi, I have a small condo, approx 25 yrs old, where in the past year has developed an intermittent drainage problem. on occasion, the drain pipe on the airhandler fills and the tray begins to over...
5
5

penofin partially dried out
Hello, I contacted them and was told the "dry agent" evaporated (my seal was broken) Penofin also said if I added thinner it would possibly turn black when it dried. Does anyone know what I can do...

Roofer questions
Hi, Would anyone have some advise on this? I am interviewing roofers to replace the roof on my house. A few of them seem really good. Are there any questions that I could ask them to vet them out to...
10
10

Whole house water filter installation
I want to install a whole hose water filter. In my unfinished basement the water comes in from the street main directly below the the floor in a corner and the pipe runs up to just about the ceiling...
9
9

Foundation Problems
Hi, I hope someone there can offer some advice. I have a concrete basement that was originally built in the 1960's. This is in Atlanta where the rain can be quite heavy. Here are the symptoms: Mildew...
19
19

Generator Voltage and Frequency??
I'd be very careful about using 50Hz on any 60Hz device with a motor or transformer: at a lower frequency a higher current will flow through anything with a coil winding, and the resulting overheating...
15
15

Rules for a power cut (humor -- long)
Rules of Gunfighting (this is the original) You may someday need to apply one or more of these The absolute First Rule of a Gunfight, in Mark Moritz' brilliantly enunciated aphorism, is "Have a gun!"...

Firewood question--Holly
I just cut down a very large holly tree and was wondering if I can burn the wood in my fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe/worth doing? Thanks, Mark
3
3