Subject Author Posted Replies

How do I find a HVAC professional to replace my furnace
I need to get my gas furnace replaced. It's a 1984 Carrier. I'll be interviewing 3-4 contractors. I'd rather give my business to a small and competent firm than one of the big chains...
6
6

HVAC - Maintaing constant return duct size right up to furnace
The return duct in the attic, from the last pickup register to where it comes down through the ceiling into the furnace room, is 162 sq. inches. In the furnace room, return air passes first through a...
3
3

HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction
Hi, I found out there is a vertical crack on the foundation wall (poured concrete) all the way from ceiling to floor. It is on the 40' foundation wall, in the middle of garage, close to steel pieces...
27
27

Stationary Home Generator Questions
Referring specifically to a 10,000 watt propane-fired unit with automatic transfer switch. 1) Do you get considerably more "miles per gallon" of propane if you use it only for absolute necessities,...
4
4

Drywall Topping Compound HELP HELP
I am doing a repair around my bathtub in prep for a tile person. I have a glass block window where one of the pieces of edge metal was not installed. I installed it and covered it with some 20 minute...

Which way should air flow through a bypass Aprilaire 560 humidifier?
It's located above the evaporator, with the duct from its side connecting it to the return duct. Flow presently is from the supply plenum to the return duct. I was measuring the temperature rise...
5
5

Increasing the R-value of duct board
My forced air heaing/cooling system's ducts are located in an unconditioned, well-ventilated attic, right above the floor insulation. They are made of 1" duct board. Anyone know of any product to...
6
6

Negative pressure in my furnace room
My high-efficiency gas furnace is located in the laundry/furnace room, which has three doors: one to the kitchen, one to the garage, and one to outside. With the blower running, if I open the garage...
30
30

how to get hot water heat up to attic?
My last hot water question for a while, I promise... In the new house we just bought, there is a partially finished attic with a radiator. The attic is essentially at 3rd floor level, so the radiator...
5
5

Help. Is my TV Dead???
Hello, My TV has a problem which has been getting worse and worse. When I turn the TV on, the bottom half of the image is compressed upward toward the middle of the screen. So, if the screen is...
20
20

What does it cost to run an apartment washer & Dryer $$?
Our renter want to install apartmetn washer (110v) and dryer, how much should we raise the rent by? We have renters in the upstairs of our rental house, that don't have washer and dryer access, and is...
14
14

Glued down carpet
We have berber carpet which has been glued down in all three levels of our townhouse. We would like to replace the carpet on the upper two stories with better quality carpet which is tacked down...
1
1

Elecrical Outlet overloading - Help !!!
One of the electrical outlets (115V) in our kitchen does not work due to overloading. Power failure occurred immediately after a 1000 watt microwave oven and another heating oven were powered on at...
3
3