Firewood question--Holly

I just cut down a very large holly tree and was wondering if I can burn the wood in my fireplace. Does anyone know if it's safe/worth doing?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Witczak

It's safe, unless the woodturners find out. Burn the little stuff, but you might find a better use for the bigger bits.

Holly is dense, so it takes a long time to dry before making a useful firewood log.

Andy Dingley

Wet wood creates more creasote when burning. Let it dry before you burn, or you will have a cleaning job after.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

this is Turtle.

Like andy said Don't let the splitter know the type wood and hide / burn the leaves and small limbs and have him split it before it drys too much for he may quite you when he has hell popping it.

Now i would suggest waiting till next winter before burning it a fire place. i have a brother in law that fools with fire wood and he said the harder type of wood like holly will burn with sap coming out and will smoke up the fire place if you don't have it real dry for the sap to burn as a solid fuel with the woods it'self. If the sap runs out, it will smoke up things a good bit. If it is dry as hell it will be good.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE