Subject Author Posted Replies

No joint compound here
Hi, When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the...
15
15

New WH, still low pressure on hot side
I finally replaced my 30-year-old water heater last Monday, with a 6- year version from BOB (big orange box). Did it all myself, for less than $400. Would've cost $600+ to have done. Anyway, I had an...
4
4

new SquareD QO breaker fits a SquareD QO panel *SUPER-lousy* (pix posted)
bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp breaker panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only fits *way* too far rightward from the other breakers, which...
14
14

Grounding conductor to sub panel from main panel & "main grounding conductor"
The whole grounding thing has me a little confused, here's what I think I understand as correct.......(I hope I'm using the correct name for all of these things.) The grounding conductor from the main...
1
1

Crooked garage door
Probably answered 100 times, but I can't find the simple answer. I have a 2-car garage with a single door. About 5 years ago, one of my garage door springs snapped. I had both springs replaced by a...
13
13

Replacing pressure (diaphragm) switch on sewage pump
This weekend, possibly beyond my scope of ability, I tried to replace the pressure switch on my sewage pump (Hydromatic skv40). I got a new Hydromatic pressure switch from a local plumber's parts dept...

KitchenAid dishwasher - inlet protector
Hi all, My remarkably new Kitchen Aid dishwasher is making the never-ending gunnnnn-gunnnnn-gunnnn noise that indicates something undigestable is stuck in the grinder. I've torn it down past the wash...
1
1

finding a buried A/C cable
Our house has a buried cable that was laid by the previous owner for a potential lamp in the yard. It is hooked to a switch in the house, but there is nothing on the other end. Is there a way for an...
34
34

spray gun not dispersing water properly
is a picture of my spray gun. My problem is that when I press the handle, no water comes out unless I loosen the brass head. The garden hose size is 5/8". I'm not sure anymore on what else I should be...
7
7

electriction advice/education for needed detached garage
Hi all, I have a detached garage that the former owner built and wired. He ran 12 gauge (it might be 10) romex 2 conductor + ground through a pvp pipe underground (about 60 feet) to the garage. At the...
10
10

Water heater tank life
Hi, Under same condition, only comparing tank life, which one would last longer, natural gas one or electric one?
18
18

Toxic dangerous stuff your grandchildren won't miss
In no particular order: o Asbestos (insulation, siding, gaskets, etc.) o Lead: o Gasoline additive (tetraethyl lead) o Solder (per ROHS regs) o Drainpipe sealant o CRT X-ray shielding o Oil-based...
29
29

Fresh air:
Hi group. Does anyone here have an fresh air make up system for their furnace that has an electrically controlled damper ? I know in the past home owners just ran an air duct to the outside, but this...
3
3

Extending Reach of Expanding Foam
I need to fill a hard to get cavity with the expanding foam insulation (e.g. Dow Great Stuff). However, the spray tips aren't nearly long enough. They're about 8", I need 24". I know I can buy the...
13
13

Touch light dimmer problem
About 2 years ago I bought a plug in touch dimmer for a bed side lamp. It worked fine for over a year. Then one day the lamp began coming on by itself, at random times. Usually twice a day. So I...
6
6