Subject Author Posted Replies

How to keep PVC cement from drying?
I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time. Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued itself shut beyond redemption. I am careful not to get cement on the rim...
14
14

What size capacitor to couple Radio Shack FM Intercom?
I am attempting to use a pair of Radio Shack FM intercoms between the 2 sides of my house wiring. I understand that a high pass coupling capacitor would allow the FM to cross between the lines. What...
16
16

Exhaust vent:
Hi all. Has anyone seen an windproufe, snowproufe bathroom exhaust fan that vents through the roof? I have an roof vent that uses an polysteyrene ball but it sometimes freezes or bounces around in...
19
19

Closing a house in the northeast for the winter.
I'm not sure if I have everything covered. I know I need RV fluid in the drains of the tub, sink, kitchen sink and toilet. I need to drain all the water pipes and baseboard upstairs. What about the...
17
17

Mothballing a swimming pool (2023 Update)
Neighboring community announced they will not be opening their municipal swimming pool this summer to save money. They say it costs $100,000 to operate for the season, but they must spend $50K to...
32
32

Special tool needed
I have a rechargeable battery that I want to dissassemble. The screws are a modified hex with a protrusion in the center that I need to remove and don't know where I can find the tool needed. Thanks,...
13
13

A Letter From The Boss....Good One....
I had an architect friend who had a sizeable (100 million + per year) construction company. He shut it down lock, stock and barrel some 30 years ago because of the government hassle. He was making a...
18
18

softener trouble
8 yr old kenmore softener - not softening - ran diagnostics seems fine, water in brine tank, put in brining mode, unplugged and too 6 hrs for about 18 inches of water to drain off. Cleaned everything,...
4
4

jumbled fill under front steps
The front "steps" to our house is a poured concrete thing. (Don't know what to call it---it's really not so much steps (though there are two of those) and more of a raised concrete rectangle a few...
5
5

Portico kit?
I live in a neighborhood of mostly Colonials (all built in 1948). Most of them have this little roof thing-ee over the front door; I think it's called a "portico." Is there some kind of kit for such...
3
3

how to fix cracks in the shower room?
Hi the shower room show some cracks at corners. how do i fix them before causing water damage? thanks in advance. david
7
7

Plaster Where to get it?
I have recently bought an old house in NJ. Clinton-Hackettstown area. Built 1885. I would like to try and restore some of the old plaster, but can't find anyone who actually carries and sells it? Any...
12
12

How to Install Roof Vent Guard?
I need to know the way to install a roof vent guard over a round roof vent fan. The round roof vent fan has a screen covering the air outlet. But the screen has no frame to stiffen it. Consequently,...

Dimmer controlled CFLs
Has anyone had any particularly good or bad experiences with dimmer controlled CFLs? There are a few bulbs I have seen recently which claim to allow dimmer control, but I am skeptical about how well a...
5
5

Durability of small screw in flourescents...?
Howdy, We use many of the (currently popular) screw in fluorescent bulbs. We often get 'em at Home Depot, and they have a seven year replacement warrantee. None have lasted more than two years, and,...
27
27