Subject Author Posted Replies

motion sesor wiring question
Hello - attaching a motion sensor unit to a lamp/radio (for use garden to scare away critters!). Question on the wiring. Direction book not very clear. I have white (ground) and black (hot) from the...
2
2

candle types
A couple weeks ago, I caught a close out sale, and bought a couple "votive" candles. About 1.5 inch diameter, and 2 inch tall. I lit one last night, put it in a glass container, with a wall hanger. An...
36
36

GFI buttons dont work anymore
It just went bad. It happens. The most recent crop of Levitan brand GFCI outlets, with a small green led on the face, have been failing at an alarming rate for me
3
3

Where to buy PVC lumber
I am sure I have seen the guys on "This Old House" use lumber made out of PVC instead of wood. I want to buy a piece of this kind of lumber that is one inch thick, 12 inches wide and 24 inches long,...
9
9

Underlayment Ring Shank Nails
Never used them before. I'm prepping the floors in a 30+ year old house for carpet. A lot of the existing nails have worked loose and it creaks a lot. I've done a couple of rooms and it's...
13
13

Firewood cover
What are you folks covering your woodpiles with? I'm so tired of re-tying tarps and replacing tarps every couple of years has gotten old. I've read that a rigid roof keeps the pile better...
14
14

On a British water urn, how does the thermostat work?
How does a thermostat on a British hot water urn work? Are they different from smaller American coffee makers? (They have big coffee percolators in the US too, for public meetings and large parties,...

MR 16 lampholder.
Has anyone had any problems specifically with TC-301H halogen MR16 lamp-holders? The part number may be E127321. Please reply here or to at any time. I will continue to check for replies for many...
2
2

Wooden Shutters
Hello. I am in the process of painting some 80 year old wooden shutters that have been off my house for 10 years. I have scrapped, wire brushed and washed them. They are in pretty good shape. I am...
14
14

Defrost Issue - GE Artica
I started seeing rising temps in both the Fridge & Freezer. I don't think the coils are defrosting properly. I took the icemaker, shelves & coil panel out of the freezer, defrosted the coils with...
3
3

sump pump question
It appears as though mine has decided to run 24/7. Anything it could be that I might be able to take care of on my own, or should I just bite the bullet and call for a plumber.
11
11

Sandpaper grit needed
I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with no rust. What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of the new paint ? Thanks, Andy
13
13

How to ship a mirror?
I need a company to pickup, pack and ship a mirror from Tuscaloosa Alabama to central NJ. The mirror is about 5ft by 3 ft and the frame is about 2 1/2 inches thick. Total weight is about 80 pounds....
11
11

Heat Pump and Vacation Prep
Just bought a mobile home in FL to snowbird to. Wondering about the heat pump thermostat and the purpose of the emergency position. Also what is the best temperature to leave the cooling set to when...
2
2

OT Camping supplies and ammo
I am not saying we will need it, but having a stock of camping supplies and ammo seems like it may be a good thing to have on hand right now. Anyone tried any storable food they could eat everyday for...
8
8