Subject Author Posted Replies

Neighbor's dead tree is leaning against my oak and threatening to fall on my property
My neighbor has had a dead tree in the back of his property for about a year, last night the wind finally broke the trunk and it fell a little toward my yard but was stopped by a large oak tree on my...
69
69

How to install closet flange? Existing had nails (rusted out)
I had a loose toliet, I thought the bolts were bad.... I have a PVC type closet flange that was simply nailed to the subfloor. The nails rusted and there is nothing holding the flange to the floor. So...
1
1

Water Heater Clicking/Water Hammer
Hello everyone. I'm hearing a clicking or knocking noise coming from the water heater. After you flush a toilet and the tank refills or when you quickly turn a faucet to full-on and then full-off,...
5
5

Short of rehanging a door, is there a quick way to make it NOT close on its own ?
I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open...
12
12

Is this a fair charge on a new concrete floor for my garage ?
I had a contractor come out and he said he pours 3750 # rated Concrete , 4" thick , directly over the sand which i currently have as a floor . He said there are stones mixed in with the concrete about...
12
12

animal noises between floors
Hello all, We live in a 2-story house in Georgia built on slab and near a wooded area. Recently, we called in a pest control company to seal the gaps we had in fascia/gutters near the roof and in the...
9
9

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?
Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big...
65
65

Repair sunken asphalt ramp
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in length for my lawn tractor. Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4 inches similar to the problem with asphalt driveway at the...
6
6

Replacement windows: wood vs. vinyl
We're considering replacement windows for 50 year old wood frame windows and some not so old aluminum frame windows. The old wood windows are difficult/impossible to open and somewhat leaky...
18
18

pressure washing stucco?
Has anyone ever put their pressure washer to exterior stucco? I have a shop in my back yard that is white stucco that's turning drab (built in about 1985). I was going to spray paint it but am...
8
8

Moisture coming out of window air conditioner's vents
We have a window air conditioning unit in one of our windows. It is mounted tilting downward, which is supposed to ensure that the moisture produced by the cooling process flows out the back of the...
27
27

Grayco spray pattern problem
I've got a grayco airless sprayer, the 900 series magnum, and it seems to not spray right. I've tried a couple of new tips, and had the pressure from low to high. What i'm getting is a...
5
5

Looking for Long Life Pilot Lamp
I will be mounting this externally in view of the neighbor's house on a seasonal cottage. I make few trips there in the winter, but would like to have the neighbor (all year round resident) be...
26
26

How to ground electric outlets over a slab?
I used to own a house that was built on a stemwall foundation. I grounded the electric outlets by drilling a hole up through the bottom plate under each outlet box, pushing ground wires up through the...
35
35

Houston, Texas price for central a/c installed
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based...
13
13