Subject Author Posted Replies

OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?
This question is about the decision process involved with replacing the timing belt in a vehicle "now" or "later". Let's not confuse the issue with cost or voiding warranties, etc. Let's assume there...
108
108

Acrylic windows
I currently have vinyl windows on my (Florida) porch. I've heard that the latest acrylic windows are pretty good and I was thinking about replacing the vinyl windows with them. Has anyone used the...
43
43

No Drip Caulk Guns- Do They Work??
Looking for your experiences. Thanks. Frank
23
23

Detached garage sub panel question
Situation is: A residential home with a detached garage has a sub panel which is serviced from a 50A breaker located in the main breaker box. This service feed is approximately 20'. The house has a...
26
26

what screws for rotted step
I've got a front porch with one soft step from water damage. I want to quickly put down a layer of plywood temporarily so it can be walked on without caving, until I get the chance to completely redo...
2
2

toilet: after installation questions
just put in the new Kohler Wellworth 1) do I need shims? The installer of the previous toilet did a super job on making the floor even and level. So the new toilet does not rock and is level. However,...
5
5

keeping mortar damp
A few weeks ago I used mortar to patch spots on my front steps. In the next three days I misted it several times with a pump-up sprayer, but the surface would dry between sprayings. I have two...
3
3

Carpenter or Computer Operator?
Alan Blinder, a Princeton professor and former Federal Reserve vice chairman, says it won't be surprising years from now if a carpenter in the U.S. earns more than a college-educated computer...
24
24

Ceiling fan install and wiring Q
I started what I thought would be medium difficulty project and now on stumped. I wanted to install a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. There currently are no ceiling lights, just a wall switch which...
19
19

Pergo End-2-End EDGES?????
We are part way thru with a major remodel in our house and we picked up a load of nice Pergo and have done two back rooms in the house. We are getting ready to start the main part of the house (great...

AZEC is pretty darn strong!
I wanted to see how strong AZEC is since I am considering using it to make some bat racks for the fields where my daughter plays softball. I'm looking to make something like this, which I've made in...
4
4

Can water and 120VAC power share a trench?
I want to run 120V to my shed and I also want to put a hose bib closer to SWMBO's gardens, which are on the far side of the shed. At the house, there is an outdoor receptacle box in close proximity to...
15
15

Thermostat/low volt wire that is CL2 and direct burial rated?
Here's the application. I have a solar pool controller located outside a single family house that puts out 24V which will go to a relay located in the attic. The controller is about 6 feet away from...
8
8

tile backsplash
would it be okay to tile directly to a painted wall( using mastic) for a backsplash and not use a backerboard or will the mastic not stick to the painted wall...perhaps if i roughed up the paint with...
2
2

miter question
i have a wall that is about hip high that forms a 90 degree enclosing a set of steps going down to the basement. i would like to widen( or cap ) the top with some wider lumber so that it may be used...
7
7