Subject Author Posted Replies

Salt stains
Road salt has stained some suede shoes of mine. Is there a trick to getting the salt stains removed. I've already determined that the solution is to not wear them in winter, but I'm afraid I'm a bit...
3
3

Pink blown in wall insulation
I have a friend that took my advise and blew in wall insulation. He didn't take my advice to use cellulose though. Or to have me help. I haven't seen this yet, but he cut 3" holes and used "pink"...
5
5

What is a good temporary coating for extension cord joints
I have outdoor livestock tanks. It's been below freezing, so I have to run tank heaters to keep the water from freezing. I run extension cords from nearly sheds. All outlets are GFCI protected,...
57
57

HELP - Washing Machine destroyed my house
I tossed some laundry in the wash machine about an hour ago and it was running normally. When it went into the spin cycle, the machine began bouncing around and banging against the wall and floor. I...
8
8

OT Repairing scratched eyeglasses
My glasses are scratched up and was wondering if anyone has used the stuff that is advertised to fix them..I don't have the 300-400 to replace them at this time..Anyone tried it ???Did it work ??
29
29

HVAC damper control question
I am redoing my basement and part of the work involves boxing around ductwork which has a couple of dampers that control the flow to the whole house. I have always left these dampers open, and...
5
5

GE dishwasher question
My son has an older GE dishwasher, about 12 years old. Does this machine have a solenoid to activate the drain function, or does the pump motor reverse direction to pump out the water?
1
1

Whole house humidifier
I had some hardwood flooring delivered yesterday, and I noticed on the box it calls for 72 hours for the wood to adjust to the environment, and humidity in the 40-55 range. It suddenly occurred to me...
4
4

Attached pad carpet with carpet wall trimmer - any advice?
I laid down attached pad carpet in the basement. I have a Kanga carpet wall trimmer tool. The attached pad makes it very difficult to crease the carpet against the wall. Therefore I can't determine...
6
6

How would (or *Would*) you insulate this space?
I've spent the afternoon insulating the rim joist bays around my basement. I'm filling the bays with R-19 fiberglass insulation, but I've got a 10' section that I'm having trouble with. I'm currently...
6
6

draft coming from light switch plate-- located at side door (that goes outside)
Hi, right near my side door of my house.. THis door goes to the outside of house... I have a light switch that is getting a huge draft.. I purchased some of those insulation foam and put that between...
6
6

getting ready to tile the bathroom
OK getting ready to put floor tile in the bathroom...what do i do about running it up against the toilet and bathtub? obviously i dont want to life either...do i just run the tile against the base of...
27
27

stove popping

CFLs lasting 1 year or less
Anyone seeing that the good ole, much touted CFL that is suppose to last 7 years, or 5 (at 4 to 8 hrs/day usage) is lasting 1 or even less? I guess it's still a significant savings over incandescent,...
31
31

specs of screws for standard flat screen mount
hi all friend of mine has a 40-something inch LCD flatscreen that is hung on the wall in his house. Because of the cords being bent at sharp angles (including power cord) he would like to space it...
14
14