Subject Author Posted Replies

Fiberglass or asbestos?
I opened up a defective hotplate and found a bunch of cotton-like insulation material inside. I put them into a plastic bag but a lot of short fibers (less than 1cm long) fall out of the "cotton"...
6
6

Shower Rod Problem - Help Please
Three years ago I had the bathroom done over and the man who laid the tile hung the new shower curtain rod. I got one of those that bows out in the middle for more space -- and he didn't save the...
12
12

Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine Door Lock Issue
Ok...so I my whirlpool duet washer is driving me crazy! It will not unlock the door. What do you suggest?
5
5

What are the clamps for Triplex called
I need to tighten a section of overhead Triplex cable. I used to have a clamp that went on the cable to which I attached a come-along to tighten it, but that clamp seems to have vanished. I was...
2
2

How do you stop a fresh water spring from running???
Hello, I have a problem that is becoming pretty big. Early this past spring, I noticed a lot of water running all over the bottom of my driveway and sidewalk. At first, I thought it was a broken water...
27
27

Need plumbing push on-off supply valve help
above pix shows a similar water supply valve under my kitchen sink, which driips near the crimp. I would like to replace the hose and crimp: is there a way to do this? Do I have to replace the entire...
14
14

Somewhat OT....x10 system
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless. Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I want to install some wireless cams with motion activation...
5
5

Septic alarm
I'm hoping someone here has experience with septic system alarms and can give me advice on my next step. I will give you the scoop (no pun intended) if someone responds. Thanks!
22
22

More kitchen stuff
Planning our kitchen, will be a _U_ shape, part of the _U_ will be an island, the rest will be along walls. What features are most desirable for cabinets? For that I mean, lazy Susan's, pull out...
8
8

Decent kitchen sink
Looking at drop in kitchen sinks, the 33"x22", in the $250-350 range. The one I have now is a double, deep bowl type, ran around $100, yrs ago. My complaint about it is using a long neck faucet, the...
6
6

outside water softener
I have a house that came with a outside water softener that has digital controls. It's located just west of Houston, Texas. One water softener guy told me to cover the controls with plastic for...
9
9

Can a skid steer be used to level a gravel road
I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it rains, and the water enters the building from the side. problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind of ruined and...
50
50

Priming/Sealing drywall before wallpapering
I had read that new drywall needs to be primed/sealed before trying to apply wallpaper; "Shieldz" was mentioned specifically, so I bought a qt. can of clear Shieldz (it's a small area). After applying...
27
27

31 Things You'll Never Hear a Texan Say...
[Number 28 makes this post on-topic] Texans will never say...: 31. When I retire, I'm movin' north. 30. Oh I just couldn't, she's only sixteen. 29. I'll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex. 28. Duct tape...
65
65

QUESTION FOR AN ELECTRICIAN
I own a gas station that was remodeled about 20 years ago. When it was wired up, in the specs for the dispenser wiring it was required for the power to the dispensers and the dispenser lights to have...
7
7