You'll like this

I have a car and a rope and a camera, and there's a little hill near here.

So I wonder if I can take a picture of my car on the hill, and tip the camera 40^ so I look more brave or reckless driving there.

micky

That's what happens when someone watches one too many Jeep commercials. You must've been the white haired guy.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

LOL. He was there to service a cell tower and he said he followed the google map instructions. Another example of that.

I was the really good-looking one.

Reply to
micky

Real life (live) incident:

A family member came across this in Utah last week. They spent the night at Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Driving out the next morning, while the passenger was video-calling me so I could see the view, they came across this:

Apparently the wheels that we can't see are hanging out over a steep cliff. The driver was going up the hill to check on his cattle and couldn't make it, so he tried to back down to a spot where he could turn around. Whoops!

Luckily, his truck was far enough to the side that other drivers (the very few that there were) could just get by.

It was kind of funny. I was just asking her about the tires on their truck and she said "We have brand new snow tires so we're doing fine...oh shit...not like this guy!"

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

A few years ago I was going to the Theodore Roosevelt NP when the Garmin said to head north at Beach. I was dubious but decided to play along. After about 15 miles it said to turn east. Okay, that's the right direction at least. Then the road turned to dirt, which isn't necessarily a showstopper. When it said to turn south on a gas pipeline I'd had enough fun and went back to Beach.

Reply to
rbowman

SWMBO and I set up our own tour of various "ghost towns" in Arizona and Utah. We had a rental car, like an Accord or something.

About 2 miles out, Google had us turn down a bumpy dirt road. We slowly bounced our way over the ruts until they got deep enough that I was afraid of bottoming out. We were maybe a 1/2 mile in when I decided to turn around.

When I got back to the paved road, I scrolled through the map to see if there were any other options. All I had to do was stay on the paved road, loop around to the other side and come in from the north, instead of the south. The extra distance was less than a mile and it was paved (in varying degrees) all the way to where we wanted to go.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Not related to Google maps, but once I was driving a rental car on an out of the way road, on flat land, no other traffic and a 2 or 3 mile walk if I needed help. I think it got very hot there and the blacktop or macadam** had expanded I guess and it peaked in the middle (and most of the rest of it stayed flat), 4 inches high or more. I could not drive on the shoulder -- there was no shoulder -- but at 2 or 3 spots the road scraped the bottom of the car. Each time I would look behind me to see if it had ripped open the oil pan, but I was lucky.

**Not sure which is which

Before I returned the car a couple days later I looked underneath and there was an iron grate protecting the oil pan. What a good idea.

Reply to
micky

Dec 3, 2021

"Matt Wetzel, a towing pro in Utah whose business doubles as a YouTube content driver, has been charged with insurance fraud. The man behind Winder Towing and Matt's Off Road Recovery is accused of fraudulently collecting money from AAA, allegedly totaling more than $15,000. His arraignment is scheduled for next week."

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I'm so disappointed. And all this trouble for only $15,000. And not only that, he still had to work for it and they would have hired him anyhow in most cases. They just would have had to pay themselves. Maybe they would have dickered and he would have lowered the price.

When I had a procedure at the hospital last Wednesday, they wanted to see my driver's license to be sure it was me.

Reply to
micky

I don't know if you checked out any of his other videos, but some of them are pretty cool. He's gotten vehicles out where other have apparently failed.

He's even humble enough to have posted a complete fail where he and his team got stuck in a snow storm and had to "recover" their own vehicles. I can't believe how rough they are on their trucks. Check this one out.

Marilyn Manson

That's terrible, requiring identification to receive medical services. What about all those socially disadvantaged people who don't have any identification? AOC should be working on a law rather than working on her tan in Florida.

Reply to
rbowman

I liked the first one and started to check others, but I'm running out of time. I have too much in print to read, too much online to read, to many tv stations to watch what I want, too much radio to listen to, to many chores to do around the house (notice that I put that last)

But I did like it, so I'll watch this one. Tnx.

My only comparable experience that comes to mind, I don't get stuck in the snow anymore but had a rental car for two days and drove onto a field, and right at the entrance I got stuck in the finest powder I've ever seen in nature. Several inches deep at least. I've never seen dirt before** that I would describe as powder. I could have called someone but I don't like to do that. Dug myself out of the powder and shoved a large crushed plastic soda pop bottle under one tire. Took a half hour.

**I'll be just 2 blocks away again soon. I could go back and collect a sample, but where would I get it analysed, and how much would they charge?
Reply to
micky

Likely what you call "silt" When dry it's powder. When wet it is slime.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Maybe I can go back when it's raining and see what it looks like. Or maybe I'll take some home and add water. I have an inordinate desire to see not just the homes I've lived in but any place I've ever been that as something special or time-related about it. My big reason for going back to Guatemala is to see the place I broke my leg and the ditch I slept in. And I still want to do this even though Google map and satellite view show the simple T-intersecion this was near has turned into half a cloverleaf and the ditch and area around it are gone!

Reply to
micky