Yikes!!! Are blinds really THAT expensive?!?!

So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

Reply to
Noozer

Go back and look at the cut-to-fit blinds. They are available in a couple of different colors and several different styles - wood, cellular, mini, pleated, etc. Shouldn't be more than $30 per window and you get the joy of impulse buying. I've seen the prices you mention and I thought it must buy enough for a whole house, but no, it's EACH!

The Sears website has good selection and good prices but it takes way too long to ship.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

"Noozer" wrote

Long b/4 I had a computer (at least 18yrs ago), I did some mail ordering through a place called American Wallpaper & Blinds. I had recently (5 yrs. ago) ordered on the web through them. It was nice to know they are still in business. They carry name brand, and their own brands. I was really satisfied with everything, so didn't try any other ones on the web. I saved quite a bit over the brick & mortar outlets.

Here's their url.

Moe

YEah they really are that expensive (well maybe not 800 per), but the ones that I was looking at for my hard to fit 72x36" windows were about 180 apiece. I haven't sprung for them yet, too many other things I can use the

1200 bucks for.
Reply to
Eigenvector

Recently I have been ordering shades and blinds from

and have been very happy with the price and service.

Reply to
Karl S

There's more to a product than just the material in them.

Ever watch "How It's Made" on Discovery/Science Channel?

Reply to
Larry Bud

I know that, but still...that's insane markup.

What really burns me is that I'm in Canada and I'm looking at about 5 times the cost for blinds here than I could order if I was in the U.S.

Reply to
Noozer

I think you were mis-quoted.

Been doing this for 20 years and I am not aware of any MSRP at that price for that size in a cellular product.

Reply to
Colbyt

This is Canadian dollars, and it was a dual view blind (a sheer and blackout all in one).

Reply to
Noozer

Maybe. Still sounds high. Some of the fancy ones are a bit pricey. Shop around a bit more.

Reply to
Colbyt

They are expensive because they are BLIND and the seeing eye dogs are really costly to train.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Boooooo... This is alt.HOME.repair not alt.HUMOUR.repair

:)

Reply to
Noozer

OK, you've got me concerned now. I just came back from my local Lowes home center with information on how to measure my windows for those cellular blinds. Mine shouldn't be that expensive, but I've been bracing for sticker shock anyway.

I'm looking at the cordless cellular blinds and the roman shades. I'm sure that the ones I finally choose are going to be the most expensive. I'm just tired of the bland mini-blinds that I have had in the house since I bought it. This place needs some jazzing up.

Sigh...

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I was lucky enough to find really high quality pleated shade for $35 that fits my window perfectly.

I know that there's overhead for blind manufacturers, but in reality how many folks do you know that are willing to shell out even $250 per window for decent quality shades.

If the manufacturers would cut their prices by half, I know that their sales would at least double.

Reply to
Noozer

blinds to go blinds to go blinds to go

They were harf the price of the name brands at the despot

Noozer wrote:

Reply to
yourname

Since you don't know the cost to manufacture it, I don't know how you can possibly comment on the amount of markup.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I bought faux Plantation Blinds from Home Cheapo. It set me back $300 for the whole house and (believe me) they look spectacular (just like $50,000 worth of genuine Plantation Shutters)

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Yeah, your problem is in you're in CANADA.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Those blinds are an excellent value for the money.

They will not hold up to heavy daily use but at 10% of the cost of a real wood blind you can replace a few every now and then when they break.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I even used one on my garage window!

They are beautiful and affordable.

I don't care for fabric because of the expense in cleaning them!

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN