Yakking and hogging phone lines

With storms, people need to make emergency phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK, honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then end the call, and free up the phone line. You may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor may be needing to call ambulance.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls, unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being abandoned....

Reply to
bob haller

Thanks, I'd forgotten that.

.

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls, unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being abandoned....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is how things used to be. Traditional wired carriers are running away from that market as fast as they can and the wired providers of today certainly aren't the Bell class of old.

Reply to
George

Sorry to hear. I grew up on land phone lines, and hope they stay for many more years. I hope, but don't expect them to.

Did you hear about the old age pensioner who was so poor, his hearing aid was on a party line. He'd turn it on, and hear people talking.

.

That is how things used to be. Traditional wired carriers are running away from that market as fast as they can and the wired providers of today certainly aren't the Bell class of old.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can you cite something that substantiates that?

I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive with the information at this site:

A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything other than 911 calls.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way, but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The cell system is essentially the same as POTS except for the last leg to the customer, and at that level cellular has built-in redundancy and load-sharing that POTS does not. A falling tree or flooded junction box can take out your POTS line or all the lines in your neighborhood. If one cell tower goes out, there's still a good chance that you'll be within range of another tower. And if you have to leave your house, you'll still have your phone. Sitting on top of your house, surrounded by flood water, would you rather have a land line or a cell phone?

Reply to
Neill Massello

I was not able to find it on the web. I've heard several times, that first responders get something programmed in their cell phones. Their calls are more likely to go through.

.

Can you cite something that substantiates that?

I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive with the information at this site:

A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything other than 911 calls.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?

.

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way, but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it had on the screen, a message reading

"no carrier available, emergency calls only"

I have no idea if it would work or not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You should see the confusion when the wives decide they want to natter with each other. It looks like a spiders web of phone lines, tangled.

Worse, when ten or so are all in the same room, walking around each other with stretchy cords. Why, just last night, wife #14 hung up the phone, and put it on wife #3 base station. #3 got disconnected, and #14's call kept yakking on, setting on the wrong base.

.

Wouldn't it be the Mormons who hog most of the phone system during an emergency? After all, they have to phone ALL of their wives (which can be as many as 30 or so). Then each wife has umpteen kids to call, and all the relatives. This could result in hundreds of calls just from one Mormon man.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wouldn't it be the Mormons who hog most of the phone system during an emergency? After all, they have to phone ALL of their wives (which can be as many as 30 or so). Then each wife has umpteen kids to call, and all the relatives. This could result in hundreds of calls just from one Mormon man.

Reply to
teaser

No. I was driving, even if I did, my wife would not have her phone on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I travel a lot and have never seen that. Maybe you have some sort of limited plan that doesn't include roaming onto other carriers except for

911?
Reply to
George

The problem with it is the law of unintended consequences kicks in. Suppose you get trapped in a building collapse and have your cell phone in your pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone because others with the special privilege are using their phones nearby?

Reply to
George

Ideally, you'd be able to call 911, but not if all circuits busy.

.

The problem with it is the law of unintended consequences kicks in. Suppose you get trapped in a building collapse and have your cell phone in your pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone because others with the special privilege are using their phones nearby?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have seem a similar message (from an AT&T phone). Apparently, the only cell tower it could connect to belongs to a different company that won't accept connections from AT&T.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It would still work with 9-1-1 calls.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That sounds like what I described. Some plans (especially those big box mart deals) will only work on the native carrier because it costs more to roam onto another carrier.

Reply to
George

Your wife is the only one you ever text?

Reply to
DerbyDad03