drying something in a plactic bag.

About a year ago three was a thread here about how to dry out a camera, or maybe it was a cellphone, that had been underwater.

Rather than take it apart, someone had sealed it in a

plastic bag

with some other material or substance and let it sit for several days.

I can't remember what the other material was, and googling the keywords I could thinik of didn't find it.

Any suggestion of the keywords used, or of what to use to dry the camera.

If I'd known I would need this, I woudl have saved it!! Thanks.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The material you're thinking of is "desiccant". you'll be familiar with this from those little white pouches you get with some electronic stuff that say, "Do Not Eat" on them.

Google for these terms: desiccant packs

Shipping-supply places often have them.

You can also put the camera in a sunny window for a couple of days (after running out the lens, removing the battery and cards, and opening whatever things are openable). The heat is high enough to evaporate the moisture, but not high enough to damage the camera. Putting it on the dashboard of your car works as well.

Reply to
Tegger

When slow and cold is acceptable, time in a frost free refrigerator is useful.

.

to dry a cell phone, take battery out and use a hair dryer. get the phone nice and toasty.

it may not work but drying it fast is important

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Too late for that!

Actually the guy I got it from did remove the battery and the memory card, and leave it open, but it didnt' help.

That was months ago, and he just gave it to me today.

Can't open the zoom lens, as someone suggested because even with a charged battery, the camerat does absolutely nothin' .

It's getting warmer, so I can try the sunny window, but RICE was the substance I couldn't think of. I'm going to try that first. Seems to me a sealed bag will be better because the rice will have to use the humidity from the camera instead of the whole house. But if that doesn't work, I'll try an open container with new rice.

I save all those little dessciant bags just for something liek this, and I could heat them in the oven I think and dry them out. or I could go buy something bigger.

(He checked with Panasonic and they told him they don't really fix the cameras, they just send a duplicate, and if they don't have that, something close, and since there is no warranty for this, they charge

90 dollars for a small point and shoot digital camer. He bought a new newer model for 99.

He was on a cruise, with the camera in a pocket of his bathing suit, when he went to the hot tub. Noticed it right away, will, right after it went under water.

If nothing else I got another USB cord, and a might fit something someday battery and charger, Plus a camera to take apart -- found two screws already. )

Thanks all.

Reply to
micky

It's probably not related to moving parts, but rather electronic components. If it doesn't work in a few days, it's not likely to work ever.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

This happened months ago and you think it still has water in it?

I would say it's fried if it doesn't work.

Reply to
Ron

You know, you're probably right. At least that drying won't help.

I do think there could still be water in it. Somehow I think water has an easier time getting in t han it does getting out, that evaporation is incrediblly slow.

But I think the damage has been done.

Fried? with only 7 volts? I sort of doubt that.

I'm thinking the on-off switch or the battery contacts might be corroded. That would account for the fact that nothing at all happens.

The battery contracts look qlean and I put a drop of DeoxIT DP5 into the slide switch, but doing that from the top never works well.

I've found 5 screws, enough to take 3 of the 4 sides off, so maybe I can get at the swtitch wihtout the whole thing popping apart. But experience tells me I should try the rice first, since that won't cause the camera to burst apart. When/if that doesn't work, I'll try taking it apart.

Thanks and thanks all.

Reply to
micky

Fried, as in no longer works. Junked. Trashed. Etc.....

Reply to
Ron

Gotcha. I'm sort of a literalist. In fact, I think one needs oil to fry electronics.

Reply to
micky