X10 info

I'm looking for peoples general impressions of X10 (a home-automation device). If anyone has tried to install it, whether its worth the money or not. My main objective is to make my house look nicer by having auto dimming lights and so forth, without sacrificing any asthetics (I'm not really interested in turning my lights on with a remote or having a box in my bedroom that can control the house) Any feedback is appreciated.

John

Reply to
John Smith

I was all the time satisfied with X10 products. I purchased things as video-camera, security system and transceiver system for automation, every products works fine. They use radio waves for cummunications, so not reasons to drill walls, everything is clean. And the price is affordable also.

Cristian

Reply to
Christian

My experience is it is good but not great. Some makes are better than others, the cheap ones like Radio Shack are maybe fair, the good ones are very good.

If you are using them within their limits, they are great.

My system is computer controlled (actually computer programmed) and not only does the day to day changes, but also has a program for Christmas stuff.

I would do it over again if I had to. The only thing I would do differently is better planning from the beginning and buying only the very high quality equipment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In my opinions, if your poor, X10 is alright. If you have the money, or feel like doing some ebaying, go with AMX Control Systems. WAY COOLER!! I can't even begin to go into all the stuff you can do with AMX, but check out

and spend a few hours looking around. Lights, a/v equipment, drapes, screens, temp, ANYTHING. If you just want light dimming, buy a dimmer, if you want home automation, but AMX

Reply to
rednelb

John:

JS> I'm looking for peoples general impressions of X10 (a home-automation JS> device). If anyone has tried to install it, whether its worth the money or JS> not. My main objective is to make my house look nicer by having auto JS> dimming lights and so forth, without sacrificing any asthetics (I'm not JS> really interested in turning my lights on with a remote or having a box in JS> my bedroom that can control the house) Any feedback is appreciated.

As using X-10 devices around the house here for about two years. So far, so good! The only two problems to report is the keyring broke off one of the small remotes and one of the doors doesn't always detect when the door is closed again. That problem just started. So far haven't figured ouy why - opening and closing the door again fixes and since it's not a primary door not too concerned. (The alarm will not set up if the "door is open".)

There are multiple sources for X-10 device, SmartHome.com comes to ming, Radio Shack carries some basic devices.

FWIW we have heat cables on the roof which are X-10 controlled. (I'm not going out in the middle of a storm to plug in the cables!!) These are on a different household code from the security and lights system so the "ALL ON" and "ALL OFF" commands don't control the heat cables.

  • If It Wern't For The Last Minute, Nothing Would Get Done.
Reply to
barry martin

I started with X10's Active Home kit and have added a number of modules and switches. I had a problem where I couldn't control some modules in some parts of the house. Per X10's support page, I had to buy a "across the line" filter capacitors and install across each 220V breaker. This has helped. I do occasionally get lights that turn on at random or won't turn off when their supposed to, but generally I'm pleased with their operation. X10 does sell switches and outlets that are more aesthetically appealing than the modules. However, for the RF control, you'll need to use the wireless transceiver module.

The Wobulator

*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
Reply to
The Wobulator

I've quiet a bit of X-10 stuff and it's all worked fine. I have not had ro install filters and bridges like Dicko. It probably just depends on the electrical system you've got. So just go ahead and try it.

Reply to
H Hornblower

To get a reliable X10 system working you have to do much more than just buy the modules and plug them in. The AC line is a notoriously dirty place and without proper line conditioning, X10 operation is erratic and downright frustrating.

First, you may need a phase coupler. It couples together the two legs of your 220V feed so an X10 signal can get from one leg to the other.

Second, you may need to invest in any number of line filters to remove noise from the line and to isolate heavy X10 loads from the line so the signal isnt attenuated too badly. Switching power supplies are notorious noise sources and they are often combined with RF filters that just suck any X10 signal down to nothing. That means virtually anything electronic may need to have an X10 filter installed on it.

Thirdly, the reliability and WAF (wife acceptance factor) of the X10 switches themselves is pretty low. You may want to invest in buying some higher quality switches such as the higher end leviton ones, or PCS, or Lightolier.

In my house I had to install line filters on all my TVs, all computers, all monitors, all printers, microwave oven, vcr, well you get the picture.. One filter can handle many devices. I still get lights occasionally randomly turning on. I started with all X10 made devices and soon junked them for nicer leviton switches.

Its been a long trial and error process, but I'm fairly happy with my system now. I have a stand alone controller turning the lights on and off.

Oh, investing in a signal level monitor is a good idea too.

dickm

Reply to
dicko