For those with X10 on their Dust Collectors

Hiya, About 75% done building my cyclone and am starting to think about electrics. This will be a 220v, 2hp driven cyclone. I'm thinking of going with X10 for my remote system. Here's what I had in mind and I was hoping there is someone that has done this already. Looking at getting their TM751

, their universal module
and a remote. The UM506 puts out a low voltage signal which I was planning to use to switch a contactor connected to the 220V. Another option would be to use a module that put out

120V to switch the contactor. Honestly, I haven't investigated contactors yet so not sure if I should be thinking 24v or 110v.

Any advice on this is most appreciated (including part numbers if you got em!)

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Why don't you just get a Long Ranger. $65 and you're done.

G.

Reply to
Greg G.

I'd never buy an X10 product. Seen too much of it that went unreliable too soon.

I also hate popup ads. A company that has tried so hard to annoy me isn't getting _my_ money.

My DC controller is an old motor-start controller. I can put pushbuttons for this anywhere I like, and that's only a low-current cable to run. Dead simple, so I might actually get it all finished. Of course in the future I can fool around with current sensing and time delays as much as I like, but in the meantime I have something that turns the DC on and off from the other side of the workshop, even if it's not right in my pocket.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well now, that is just too cool. I have an X10 on my little DC and truly love it. I have been looking at bigger DC's but it really bugged me that I would have to give up remote control. Now all I have to do is get one of those puppies over the border.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Hi, Why don't you simply get the 220V 20 amp module (HD245), a transceiver and a remote and plug directly into this? I have it for a year now controlling my grizzly dust collector with no problems. Wound up getting a bunch of "extra" stuff for a little more which I have not really played with yet. Don't sign up for any email crap, it is continuous. jaime

Reply to
Jaimesummer

Most of mine has been in use for 15 years or so. Maybe they've cheapened in recent years. I think their web page is a PITA though. I have eight lights on X-10 timer and a couple of extra controllers. When you hear noises outside it is nice to be able to it a button by the bedside and tu rn lights on in the yard. Ed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

X10 is a standard, not a company. Well, there may be a company that has hijacked the name. But there are certainly other companies building x10 based products.

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Thanks Jaime, Since X10 (the company, not the spec) doesn't give much in the way of specs for their stuff, I was concernced about whether that module would handle 2hp motors. Amperage aside, I was worried the module mightn't handle the motor's transients etc... Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Thanks Andy. x10 is a specification/standard created some 30 years ago defining a communication or network protocol for carrying signals over power lines. X10.com just happened to develop it and consequently carries the name. It is not proprietary any longer so there are many manufacturer's using it including Leviton, Lutron, etc... Cheers, cc ps. Yeah, I hate x10.com's website too!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I've been using a 220v x10 appliance controller for a DC for over 5 years now. Have two sets of track lights for task lighting that're also on X10. With a radio remote in another outlet and a couple of small controllers scattered or in my pocket, it's worked out well. Even gave one to SWMBO so she can flash a light to get my attention. The whole outfit costs less and was more useful than that LongRanger one. Initially bought from X10 site, but their prices are high. Latest buy was from

.

Using

for the DC.

The

includes a PHR03 remote control which is too large for the pocket, but it does have considerably more range. The include little PHR04 sits in your pocket or belt. The PAT01 included base transceiver has worked out well. I just stuck a wire around the antenna and taped it on the wall to extend the range a bit.

GerryG

Reply to
GerryG

Actually, it is now both. The original X-10 stuff I bought was under the BSR label and was sold by DAK out of California. Later, Radio Shack had it, then Sears, probably others. They the X-10 company came along and they sell it over the web. I have no idea how long they have been around.

Home Link is a similar system and has some compatibilty. I can even turn a couple of house lights on from my car with the built in system.

I did not know it was a standart though. Thanks for that info.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

mine flaked out after a bit. the ranger is a far better built unit that always works and has more range too. plus the remote is very durable I have dropped it a lot of times with no problems.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Gerry, Thanks for the informative reply! Looks like there are a few options available besides the x10 (company) and cheaper too! Appreciate it. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

People need to conside that X10 is getting a bit long in the tooth. The code sent over the power line is very simple and if someone shares the same transformer it is very easy to take control of your X10 devices. Newer systems (don't know the standard offhand) make use of a much more secure protocol.

Anyhoo, I'm considering the PSI remote controller for my (2hp) dust system. Basically just a wireless remote and an inline junction box that the collector plugs into. Searches seem to indicate it's a reasonably good product for the $60. Anyone have any stories they'd like to share on this item? (Watch the wrap)

BruceR