Cool Gadget!

Wandering about my local B&Q today - looking for a 2 gang to 3 gang socket converter (which I later found at TLC for 60% less) I came across;
Byron Remote Control Sockets.
Basically three adaptors that plug into socket outlets and a remote control. You plug your appliance into the adaptor. Then you can turn those appliances (up to 3000w) on/off via remote!
We have two table lamps and a floor lamp in our lounge, all of which are a PITA to switch on/off. No I can sit there & pretend I'm Ernst Starvro Blofeld! Great fun & useful for 20!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Yes, they are useful- but they've been about for quite a while.
I bought a set of 4 adapters plus remote (different make, and a bit more expensive) from Maplins several years ago. We use 3 of them regularly - and the fourth seasonally for the Christmas tree lights. One controls an outside light which illuminates the pond and is powered from an upstairs bedroom, but can operated from the lounge.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Mate of mine bought the aldi ones but found his neighbours had same and they were forever switching each others stuff on/off
these words:

Aldi sell 4-packs for 11 sometimes.
--
Skipweasel
contains

One off the four was a dimmer last time. I use them to turnoff all the stuff that uses the little power bricks as that saves a little bit of electricity.
They are also good for garden lights.. just put a socket strip in a water proof box, plug in the remote switches and plug in the lamps. Meets all the legal requirements and you never need to touch a wet switch with mains behind it again.
Also currently on special offer (as a single) in Maplin, for 5.99. "Turn off your Christmas tree lights without leaving your sofa"
Also currently on special offer (as a single) in Maplin, for 5.99. "Turn off your Christmas tree lights without leaving your sofa"
There's nothing like laziness carried out well!
I often see people frantically looking for remotes for their telly, isn't this just another thing to get lost?
Mary
In their most recent outburst: Mary Fisher ranted:

learning remotes

Yes, but it's potentially a boon for a diabled person who is not too chaotic...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Of course! but I suspect they're not all being bought by disabled people :-)
And I'm (relatively) able-bodied but still chaotic :-(

Mary
On 2006-11-14 14:47:41 +0000, Helen Deborah Vecht

Helen
Have you looked at the more sophisticated programmable devices based around PDAs which will cope with a range of target devices?

No, but I'm fairly mobile at the moment.
I'm a great believer in using every possible trick on cheap mainstream gadgets; My Nokia 3120 is my diary cos I can't write much...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
Andy Hall wrote:

Sounds interesting: Andy, do you have any pointers for this stuff? Have had a nose around but can't find anything. Just that SWMBO has recently been Blackberry-enabled and am interested to find out what it can potentially do!
David

Typing PDA remote and control as Google keywords will bring up a selection.
Home automation some more.
I have had a Windows CE PDA (an HP One) for some time. This was running the 2003 CE version and was reasonably OK - it has phone, bluetooth, WiFi,IrDA... However, like other WM 2003 devices it doesn't tolerate well having a lot of applications installed and tended to need rebooting about once a day. To put it in perspective, I had TomTom navigator installed on it (to keep taxi drivers honest), "push" email and various other stuff. It was certainly usable although I really wanted to have something that had an integrated keyboard for messaging and email. I also wanted something with 3G capability that could be used as a modem for when WiFi isn't available - e.g. trains etc.
I did look quite carefully at Blackberry. As a business tool, they have become ubiquitous and the email service is pretty reliable as long as one chooses operator carefully. For what it is intended to do, I think it does a good job. The two drawbacks that I noticed was that it is a relatively closed device and there is not as much other software around for it in comparison with WM and Palm; and that quite a lot of people seem to carry a phone and a Blackberry. I wanted one device. I couldn't find any Blackberry remote control software.
So it looked as though WM or Palm would be the choices. WM 2005 had come out and was getting good reviews in terms of stability, so this seemed to become a viable option. I spent some time researching different "push" email solutions and found a reliable one. A discussion about customer retention with my mobile operator brought forth a Qtek 9000 (WM2005 PDA with all required features).
The older PDA is now being relegated to various purposes around the house for control purposes.
Mary Fisher wrote:

Well in my case, the Xmas tree lights are plugged in the only available socket which is in the corner behind the TV and tree... over the festive season, every night it is the bane of my life to have to crawl behind the telly, reaching under the tree which either impales me with pine needles or drops them down my neck, as I stretch for the socket to turn the bloody lights off before bed. Every year I swear I'll sort out a better solution, but every year the lights go back in the box for another 11 months without anything being done.
So I'll definitely be first in the queue for one of these things... wWho knows, I might even actually enjoy Xmas as a result!
David

There is a lower-tech solution : extension cable, with optional switched socket if you CBA to unplug/plug the lights.
cheers, clive
Clive George wrote:

Yep, that's the sort of 'better solution' I have had in mind for the past n years but have never got around to actioning... and I know, I could buy that kit from B&Q just as easily as this remote jobbie...
David

Yes, darling, you're proving your manhood :-)
Mary

ARE?
Already/?
It's not even Advent yet!
Mary Fisher wrote:

Noooo.... (darling) I meant, as in, "Well in my case, each year the Xmas lights are..."
David