WWYD?

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:32:30 -0400, Earl wrote in

Legally they are "lost" items, and you know who the rightful owner is. It's the entity that shipped it to you. If you keep the item or sell it, you have stolen it.

Reply to
CRNG

Now they use helicopters.

Reply to
Neill Massello

My Chinese neighbor is a tea part supporter so he is both a Right and a Wong.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did you hear what the doctor said when two Chinese adults had a caucasian baby?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, ~30 years ago some idiot made a comment that made no sense.

Since anyone with half a brain knows that the two items have nothing to do with each other, why did you feel a need to bring it up?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

By your definition, most of the world has less than half a brain. People use religion to give them their notion of "morality"; the rules by which they (in theory, "strive to") live their lives.

The 10 Commandments, the Torah, Koran, etc. all offer rules and guidelines for their followers as they pass through "earthly life". They define what's Right and Wrong in the contexts of their teachings.

What role do *you* think religion plays in the world? In people's lives? Just a reason to "get together" on a regular basis?? A chance to play BINGO?

Reply to
Don Y

We need to be "centered". We have too many distractions, and yes *bad* examples that lead us astray. And if you are a participating, regular member...everyone looks out for you and yours'.

Reply to
bob_villa

You really have no clue what my initial comment was all about, do you?

Let me make it simple:

My question had nothing - absolutely nothing - about the role of religion in anyone's life. I couldn't care less what your religious beliefs are. My question was nothing more than an inquiry into why you chose to connect 2 things that have no connection

For some reason, you chose to make a connection between atheism and knowing right from wrong.

That's akin to saying:

I may be Japanese, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.

Or

I may be short, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.

Or

I may be female, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.

There was simply no reason to make the comparison you made, expect perhaps, because some idiot made a stupid comment ~30 years ago. Do you honestly think that people need to be told that atheists know the difference between right and wrong?

Again, don't turn this into a religious discussion. Leave it right where it started, with a connection between 2 things that had no need to be connected.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You still don't see it, do you?

It is illegal to drive while drunk. Drunk driving is WRONG. There are SECULAR laws that state this. Nothing in any religious texts make this claim!

In most jurisdictions, extramarital affairs are not ILLEGAL. Yet, they are considered "WRONG". Because of religion.

There is nothing illegal about me saying "Christ, what a screw up". Society says this is OK.

Religion says otherwise.

Society says it's perfectly acceptable to conduct business on Friday evenings, Sundays, etc. Nothing Wrong about it.

Yet, jews would consider Friday night business to be Wrong. Christians would consider Sunday business to be wrong.

Clearly, religion plays a role in deciding what is Right and what is Wrong.

Being Japanese has nothing to do with Right or Wrong.

Height has nothing to do with Right or Wrong.

Gender has nothing to do with Right or Wrong.

RELIGION HAS *EVERYTHING* TO DO WITH RIGHT AND WRONG. By extension, LACK of religious belief leaves open the possibility that there is no "moral compass" -- no "teachings" to impose that sense of Right or Wrong.

I can COVET your belongings, your wife, take YOUR lord's name in vain, do business on YOUR holy days ... because none of those things are WRONG (illegal) in the eyes of a secular (non religious) world.

You would be (personally) well served reading some of the writings -- pro and con -- regarding atheism v theism. See some of the "issues" that are commonly addressed and how both sides "spin" these -- in an attempt to claim their opinions are "authoritative". A read through most of the theistic writings will leave you with the very distinct impression that these folks believe their theism endows them with this "Knowledge" (as an absolute -- yet, based on an intangible "belief").

I'll now ignore your posts. In a day or two of doing so, my server will spare me the distraction of even *seeing* them. Clearly, we have nothing to say to each other that the other is willing to hear.

Reply to
Don Y

How about the 5th Commandment?

You *can* conduct business, but not exchange money.

Reply to
bob_villa

No one has been killed! Driving drunk doesn't imply a death!

Fine: Society says it's perfectly acceptable to EXCHANGE MONEY on Friday evenings, Sundays, etc. Nothing Wrong about it.

Yet, jews would consider Friday night MONEY EXCHANGING to be Wrong. Christians would consider Sunday MONEY EXCHANGING to be wrong.

Reply to
Don Y

Too often is does...and the 5th also applies to tattoos (or piercings), dru gs, or gluttony.

Now you're being juvenile by capping! ( ?° ?? ?? ?)

Reply to
bob_villa

Neither does being an atheist. Thanks for making my point.

Neither does being an atheist. Thank you for making my point.

Neither does being an atheist. Thank you for making my point.

Why are you yelling? You do tend to get overly excited during these discussions.

People can learn right from wrong, respect vs. disrespect, being nice vs. being an a-hole without any religious teachings. When a child is "taught" to be nice to other children, is it done only in Sunday schools/synagogues/mosques? No, it's done in living rooms, school yards and ball fields with no mention of anyone's higher power or religion.

Just because people take sides and claim to be the "authority" doesn't make either side right. If you have to "spin" things, then you are trying to convince others of things that you don't truly belief yourself.

When I hear spin, I stop listening because nothing that follows is worth the words that are spewed.

Which is what most people say when they finally realize that they completely missed the original point and started arguing about something that was never brought up.

I hear everything you are saying. I just don't necessarily feel that your original comment was needed or even makes sense. You implied that we think that atheists don't know that their (sic) is a difference between right and wrong. Take a poll. I'll bet you'll find that most people don't hold that belief.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah, I guess that must have been in one of the addenda to the original commandments?

How else would you suggest I draw attention to the difference between the original post and this version of it? Use *red* ink??

Reply to
Don Y

There are many ways...at least as many as your irrelevant and unnecessary comeback responses.

Reply to
bob_villa

Catholics are not supposed to perform servile work on Sunday. You can exchange money by using your church envelope.

Originally the work done by serfs from which they were freed on Sundays and holy days in order to worship God. Until recently, servile work, forbidden on Sundays, was work that was chiefly physical. At present servile work is heavy manual labor, or such work as in a given society people commonly associate with strenuous effort and do not engage in when they have the freedom to avoid it. Implicit in the Church's prohibition of servile work on Sundays is fidelity to the divine commandment to keep holy the Sabbath. This means avoiding activities that would hinder renewal of soul and body, i.e., needless work or business, unnecessary shopping or housekeeping.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You didn't seem to understand the role of the caps. And, resorted to an ad hominem attack on my use of them. Or, were you just being juvenile?

Reply to
Don Y

Here's just one of *many* sites that offer alternatives to using caps for emphasis, since caps are commonly considered to be the internet equivalent of yelling. Nobody likes to be yelled at, so you turn off more readers then you impress when you yell - or when they think you are yelling, even when you think you are not.

DerbyDad03

Christianity includes more than just Catholics.

Historically, the (christian) sabath (sat PM-> sun) was intended to be a time void of commerce and recreation. At one time, there were laws against drinking, working, traveling, etc. on Sunday.

As a kid, I can recall the *beer* display in the supermarket being covered (with a giant "window shade" sort of device) after 8PM on Saturday -- even though the supermarket remained open (and into Sunday!). Yet, we could drive across the state line and buy until 11P. Here, there are no prohibitions regarding beer/liquor on Sundays.

In Colorado, you couldn't sell a car on Sunday. Here, the dealerships are typically closed on Sunday -- but, my understanding is that this is by convention, not law (i.e., you can find select vendors who are willing to do business on Sunday).

I.e., all of these things are still "wrong" in the religious sense yet the secular world has decided they are "OK".

OTOH, the catholic church seems to routinely decide to rewrite what's "acceptable" -- in a manner that is suggestive of a marketing campaign! (gays, second marriages, etc.) I wonder if they've got some grand master copy of their bible locked away someplace and a big jar of WhiteOut... :>

Reply to
Don Y

Nitpick: than not then

Durn autocorrect...