Woodstove Fireplace Repair

I have a woodstove in the living room with a stove pipe that runs into the wall and into the chimney. The name on it says "Ember Hearth". It looks very old, and is made of some heavy metal. The stove does not seem to work well. The fire does not stay on for very long, and there is hardly any heat. It has an electric fan that seem to run ok, and I have made sure that the chute is open. Most HVAC repairman do not seem to know how to repair this unit. I am willing to give it try, but I do not know where to start. I have not found any information on the web either. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew Sarangan

Has the flue been cleaned? If you can not maintain a fire then either the air in or the gasses out is killing the fire, or a both. What does the fan do? if it blows into the room then it is not part of the problem. Fireplaces flues in my opinion should be cleaned once a year. My old house had one and I bought a brush some where and with the help of a friend could clean mine in less than an hour. The clean up of the house was about the same length of time. Soot falls down. Cover everything

Reply to
SQLit

Tip: Clean your flue in the spring after the last fire. The corrosive effects of the ash on the flue (both brick mortar or steel liner) is minimized. Flues are expensive to replace/repair.

Mike

Reply to
Boatman