Drill press floor model

Had the B&D engineering gotten to the delta drill press yet? One other question.... You have $400 for a floor drill press what one do YOU buy....... Shop Fox or the delta?

Reply to
O D

I like the Delta

Dave

TeamCasa

I have the Delta, I like it too. I've had it 12 years now. No problems other than belts. They aren't really a problem though. They're just the only part I've been able to wear out. I've looked at the Shop Fox. I kind of like it too. The RPM range is wider.

If I had to buy another one tomorrow, I'd go right back to the Delta. A

2 year warranty that you will probably never need, a reputation for woodworking tools, Delta., Yep. It matches my other bluish-gray tools in the glow of the flourecent T-8s too.

Tom in KY, You might look at a Grizzly,,

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote

Has anyone tried sustituting automotive fan belts for the plain rubber V-Belts used on most shop tools? They cost a little less than double, but seem to last a lot longer.

Cheers!

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I'm in the same position (have some bonus money coming that SHMBO says are mine to spend - she likes the work I've done to the house lately ;) but will go with the Shop Fox. I looked at the equivalent Delta recently but liked a friend's Shop Fox better. Even the Jet, in the same class, looked better. The Delta didn't impress me at all. ...but what do I know?

Reply to
Keith

I swapped in Power Twist link belts on my Jet DP and it made a significant difference in vibration. How they'll last I don't know, as they only have 6 months of occasional use so far.

Biggest swap out was the chuck. The original owner got a replacement from Jet when the first one had excessive run out. He said the new one was much better and it ran out > .008 at 1" from the chuck! Jeez! My repacement is < .001 at 1" and just feels a lot smoother and doesn't wander at entry even with twist bits. Albrecht makes good chucks!

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

G'day Gary, Yep, sure have. As you say they save a few bob and do last longer. They are also much more readily available. The only problem I had was fitting one to my lathe. Couldn't get a belt short enough, so a few extra holes so as to mount the engine lower and bob's ya auntie.

regards John

Reply to
John B

Delta is coming out with a new model. Two axes tilting table and laser. If you have a need for this feature, you might want to wait a bit. Read this today here:

Couple clicks down the page.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Isn't "Shop Fox" a Grizzley brand?

Reply to
Keith Williams

Reply to
Mike Berger

I question whether a Delta bought today is the same as the one you bought twelve years ago ? Maybe it is ..... I just wonder ? We have the Delta (Taiwan), purchased about 2 years ago to replace one (also Delta but made in the USA) that was probably 20 years old.

Had trouble with the first chuck, got a replacement that was fine. Overall the drill has performed well, no real complaints. I will say though that Grizzly has one of the best parts service I have had experience with, quick and very helpful. YMMV

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

Nice! Any idea when?

Reply to
Keith

Not another Delta 17-965.

.001" runout. Seems well-built.

BUT the first motor I had vibrated so badly that wood would walk off the table. A link-belt ($25) was needed to make the tool useable.

Delta customer support was helpful and back-ordered a second motor for me which took a couple months to get in stock. It vibrates less but has an audible rattle when run vertically as installed in the drill-press.

Reply to
Drew Eckhardt

Thank you all for your input. However I did not follow my own choices . Went to woodcrafter in clearwater and bought the Jet. $399 minus 10% minus $25 rebate. Think the rebates gimmick should go though. Give back money they overcharged in the first place. We are hooked on rebates now. Cannot get off this addiction. Again thanks.

Reply to
O D