Woodmans metal

Just popped into my mind after sitting dormant for almost 50 years>

My job was repairing industrial batteries and chargers.

Going back ages ago, I was in a factory replacing a battery cable using my lead burner. An old time carpenter saw me with lead and started talking about it and referred to lead was "woodmans metal."

I have no idea now, what the conversation was about and what a carpenter would have used lead for, maybe going back to the 1940's or before.

Anyone here (didn't think so) have a clue?

Reply to
philo

There was a tin woodman - maybe his joints were lead-soldered ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

He probably meant Woods metal which is a lead alloy. I recall using it in the lab as a heating bath for higher temperature reaction. Sometimes using a bath would give more uniform heating than a heating mantle

"Wood's metal is a mixture of 50% bismuth, 25% lead, 12.5% tin, and

12.5% cadmium. It melts at a temperature of 158° Fahrenheit (70° Celcius)."
Reply to
invalid unparseable

Thank you so much I am sure my memory was faulty.

Wood's metal it has to be.

So glad I asked here!

Wow, what a low meeting point !

Reply to
philo

He was likely thinking about the low melting point alloy called "woods metal" used for thermal release "fuses"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yep. That had to be it.

Reminds me that when I toured Alcatraz they told us that Al Capone lead a painting crew and they painted over all the fire sprinklers . Now I realized that when the Woods metal melted, it would not have mattered it they were painted over.

Reply to
philo

Painting sprinkler heads can jam up the pivot joints of the mechanism causing the sprinklers to not epen even after the "fuse" is melted. NOT a good idea!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Al Capone purposely wanted to sabotage the place

Reply to
philo