Wooden Storm Windows the Best Option?

We have a bay window in the front of the house with criss-crossing leaded glass ? circa 1930s. They provide a beautiful site and a Drafty house. Previous homeowners pitched the old storm windows (shame on them) so we currently have no protection against the draft. Is it worth it to have custom storm windows made or is there a better solution? Shrink wrap, although effective and in the right price point, does not sit well with my wife. I would hate to replace the windows all together.

My next question is ? where do you even go to get custom wooden storm windows? Doing it myself is not a feasible option.

Thank so much for your help,

James Toronto, Canada

Reply to
James

You might want to inquire at a good local lumberyard as to whom in town makes custom wood doors and windows.

There was just an article in Fine Homebuilding (if I recall). For aluminum storms, the author mentioned Historic One Lite storms from Allied Window ().

I would imagine even the most expensive storms would be cheaper than replacing the window, plus it would be a shame to loose the history.

I need 21 storms myself, so I am having the same internal debate.

HTH, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I have seen many older homes with ornate windows a metal frame single piece storm window. The mountings I've seen has been in two ways. One had a mechanical spring loaded locking assembly, mounted on the ornate frame, usually two on each edge. You turn it half way to remove the window. The other was a magnetic strip that mounts the aluminum frame to the window. It allows the window to remain intact and pretty much disappears to allow the beauty of the ornate window to show through.

Reply to
just me