Wood siding..HELP!

I have to replace a few panels of cedar wood siding before I paint. How the heck do I remove them? It seems each layer is held on by the layer above!

Are there any websites with pictures you can link me to DIY? Thanks!

Reply to
excap

Just saw it on This Old House. There is a tool that looks like a T . You slide it up under the shingle you want to remove and snag a nail that holds the shingle on. Then you hit it with a hammer and it will pull the nail out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Look for siding removal and siding removal tool on google.

Reply to
G Henslee

Or another way is to slide a hacksaw blade up under the siding to cut off the nails that you can't see.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

If the siding was installed properly, the nails on the overlap should not be penetrating both boards. In other words, if you pry the nails loose on the face of the board(s) you wish to replace, the board should simply pull free from underneath the siding board above.

Cedar siding is installed this way so the board is free to expand and contract across it's width without splitting.

JRanieri

Michael Nickolas

This is exactly what I asked - great description in there.

Dean

Reply to
dean