Wok fumes

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the rear of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I recently notices these fumes eminating from my internal heat/ac duct work. We have forced air. He did all of the work himself in the middle of the night. We appoaced him on the issue but he simply said the fumes were coming from my kitchen. I closed off some of the duct lines to try and isolate the problem and now there are no fumes in the ducts but we are still getting inundated with the odor. They ofen cook late like

9:00-10:00PM and its very disturbing. We get the fumes in our bedroom also. Can anyone help me find some solution or some recourse.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Mcinbrass

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the rear of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I recently notices these fumes eminating from my internal heat/ac duct work. We have forced air. He did all of the work himself in the middle of the night. We appoaced him on the issue but he simply said the fumes were coming from my kitchen. I closed off some of the duct lines to try and isolate the problem and now there are no fumes in the ducts but we are still getting inundated with the odor. They ofen cook late like

9:00-10:00PM and its very disturbing. We get the fumes in our bedroom also. Can anyone help me find some solution or some recourse.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Mcinbrass

does it vent through his roof? or is it directed into the attic?

Reply to
sirmopalot

Check this link:

The guy had your IDENTICAL problem, and probably has an identical solution. Good wuk.

Reply to
Norminn

The guy not only had an identical problem, but posted the identical text, and had an identical email address. He also posted the exact same thing to misc.legal and alt.building.construction a year ago.

Reply to
M Q

Look bub, you asked the identical question on April 21, 2006.

Why waste folks' time here?

.
Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

You posted the same question on April 21, 2006.

Why waste folks' time here?

Asshole.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

- The guy not only had an identical problem, but posted the identical text,

- and had an identical email address. He also posted the exact same

- thing to misc.legal and alt.building.construction a year ago.

Hey, give him a break. Maybe he moved.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is vented across hi ceiling to the rear of the house where there is a shared soffit. from there the vent points downward. The fumes are traveling through the soffit and entering our house. Bedroom between the walls everywhere we are being inundated with the stench every time he cooks. often late at night. I though there would be some fresh perspective.

Reply to
Mcinbrass

Why have you done nothing about this since you posted it in 2006?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I am looking for help. not criticism, this is a stubborn problem.

Reply to
Mcinbrass

Well, don't you think it would be a waste of everyone's time to suggest things you've already tried, rather than remove those ideas from the list?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He recently installed a vent ..... I recently notices these fumes....

If the OP is too lazy to retype/update his original post, I doubt he's done anything about it since 2006.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You need a head doctor, so I cannot help you. Do you hear voices or have aliens visiting your room?

You posted April/September '06 and today. Make a friggin decision!

Not critical, just the advice I can offer.

-- Oren

Oren

Sure did. From AOL to Yahoo.

-- Oren

Oren

If it is a shared soffit, could you redirect it maybe up through the roof etc? Does the vent at any time enter into your property or any property that could be considered okay for you to modify? It seems like it would be up to either one of you to redirect the vent somehow.. if it is indeed coming through your soffit and into your attic and possible through your ac ducts?

Reply to
sirmopalot

His venting cooking fumes into a shared soffit is illegal. Period. Tell him he need to construct a proper chimney or you'll complain up the ladder to building officials.

Reply to
Abe

on 10/4/2007 4:27 PM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said the following:

Sounds like a job for the Homeowners Association or the local Building Department, whichever applies. More than likely, it is a violation of some ordinance.

Reply to
willshak

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:56:23 -0700, Abe wrote Re Re: Wok fumes:

This is good advice and probably your only recourse other than taking the guy to court.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

The incompetent buildings dept here in New York City after 5 inspections finally saw the vent and determined that the pipe he installed, the tearing into the walls and the range hood he installed did not require a permit, they also say that the 4" vent he has in the shared soffit is not illegal. The bastard is uncooperative in redirecting the vent because it might cost him $5.00 to do so.

Do you think it would be a viable solution to open up the soffit and block off the area between the houses. Another idea I had was to install my own rooftop vent to direct the fumes out of the soffit, then sue him to cure this condition he created.

Reply to
Mcinbrass