wiring up a brick wall

Greetings,

Based on what I can determine there is no minimum depth for my application specified within the NEC. I am getting to work-- with the materials and methods specified. I will check back a couple of times just to make certain no one had any deal-breaking news.

Thank you all again, William

Reply to
William.Deans

William, read article 300.4(E). I'm not sure it applies in your situation, but I would ask the electrical inspector if he would accept the MC cable without protection in a masonry covering.

Reply to
John Grabowski

William,

Sorry, I was too brief. Leave the wall alone. Run your wiring outside of the wall in nice looking, painted conduit.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

This has been an interesting thread. I'm not sure why you don't want to talk to your building inspector. Usually that's because someone is either afraid of them or afraid that what they are doing won't pass muster.

If you come up with a "perfect" solution that isn't specifically spelled out in the code, and the inspector shoots the idea down, even though you know without any doubt in your mind that it's okay, what are you going to do? No one here can second guess your building inspector. He might be a push over or he might make your project a nightmare because you're not listening (there is some evidence that that happens).

Good luck with it.

RicodJour

Greetings,

I went back and read 300.4(E) and it seems almost certain that it does not apply.

Uses permitted for MC cable Article 330.10 (11) include "In dry locations and embedded in plaster finish on brick or other masonry except in wet locations" which would be in direct conflict with

300.4(E) if it did apply to such situations. Mortar on brick is also not simular to the finishings listed in 300.4(E). The finishings listed in 300.4(E) require fasteners and thus the 1 1/4" rule.

Thanks again, William

PS: I will let you know what the inspector says (in the next 30 days). I fully expect it to pass.

Reply to
William.Deans

If you're not burrying the cable 1.5" deep into the wall, you want metal between it (the cable) and the wall surface, so not using metal conduit means having to trench deeper than you otherwise would.

Reply to
Goedjn

Greetings,

I think I have mentioned these things this in the past but I will say them again. Inspectors are emotional beings and, because they can make your life easy or hard, you need to keep their feelings in mind. Just like with other professions some are great people trying to help you accomplish a safe job efficiently -- but some, sadly, are plagued with inspectoritis.

One common symptom of inspectoritis is when inspectors want things done how they say instead of simply in a safe manner leaving the specifics to the contractor. I don't want to give my inspector a chance to specify how I "could" do this job because it might be beyond his ability not to turn that "could" in his mind into a "must".

Another common symptom of inspectoritis is filling in the blanks when the inspector is not 100% sure of the rules and sticking to it. I now know for instance that 300.4(E) does NOT apply in my situation. The inspector might say something about 300.4(E) and I could now explain exactly why it does not apply on the spot and the inspector might be willing to change his mind right then and there because he had not yet voiced a firm decision. If, on the other hand, I had called the inspector and he shot down the idea based upon 300.4(E) and then later I called him back up and told him why he was wrong what do you think my chances would be?

I think that this situation is handled by the code and because of input from John Grabowski and others I now have a much better understanding of exactly where and how it is addressed throughout the NEC. If the inspector shoots it down because of something I missed in the NEC and I am in the wrong then the worst that could happen is I must protect the cable with a plate. The inspector currently has no reason to make up a rule to fail it, in part because I have been careful not to allow such a situation to arise.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Greetings,

I believe there is no minimum cable depth for my application. Please see my other posts.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

one wonders why you brought the question to usenet to begin with. from what i can see all you've done is berate people giving you answers as best they can, except for the one person who gave you an answer in line with your original thinking.

why even ask if you have the answers?

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

I find it very interesting that wdeans has stopped quoting people and just posts unattributed responses. It kind of fits in with the talking and not listening mentality, which is apparently how he wants to approach his building inspector. Anyone care to guess how your friendly neighborhood building inspector will react to such an approach?

RicodJour

Which is to say; Webtv mentality.

Reply to
G Henslee

Greetings,

All of my responses are attributed. I can see who I responded to in a tree on my news viewer. If you cannot tell who I am responding to on your viewer it is not because the information is not available. I have included the tree below for you.

1 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 2 Goedjn Jun 20 3 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 4 Edwin Pawlowski Jun 20 5 Pop Jun 20 6 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 7 Duane Bozarth Jun 20 8 Goedjn Jun 20 9 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 10 Edwin Pawlowski Jun 20 11 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 12 David Martel Jun 20 13 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 14 David Martel Jun 21 15 Goedjn Jun 21 16 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 21 17 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Jun 21 18 RicodJour Jun 21 19 G Henslee Jun 21 20 Duane Bozarth Jun 20 21 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 22 John Grabowski Jun 20 23 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 24 Duane Bozarth Jun 20 25 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 20 26 Duane Bozarth Jun 20 27 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 21 28 John Grabowski Jun 21 29 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 21 30 RicodJour Jun 21 31 snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com Jun 21

I find it very interesting that wdeans has stopped quoting people and just posts unattributed responses. It kind of fits in with the talking and not listening mentality, which is apparently how he wants to approach his building inspector. Anyone care to guess how your friendly neighborhood building inspector will react to such an approach?

William.Deans

Greetings,

Learn to quote you condescending prick.

Reply to
G Henslee

Greetings,

Goedjn says: If you're not burrying the cable 1.5" deep into the wall, you want metal between it (the cable) and the wall surface, so not using metal conduit means having to trench deeper than you otherwise would.

I believe he means a 1/16" metal plate is required by 300.4(E) if the cable is not at least 1 1/4 inches below the surface of a trench? If this is what he means then I have already stated why I thought 300.4(E) didn't apply and he is invited to reply further (perferably in that sub-thread) if he thinks it does and can state why. If he is not referring to 300.4(E) then what rule does he mean?

Thanks, William

Reply to
William.Deans

If nothing else, you're consistent. A newsgroup is not all about you and your needs. It is about the free exchange of information. The fact that your posts fall in a tree doesn't mean they are attributed. Certain conventions make it easier for people to follow a thread, pick it up in the middle and read single posts with comprehension regarding the circumstances. Your, for lack of a better word, technique of posting unattributed responses, not quoting the posts you're replying to and the like, and assuming that someone has followed the thread from the beginning, and remembers all the details over a period of what may be days or weeks, is unrealistic and ignores the people that will be searching this newsgroup in years to come.

There's no need to reply, but if you feel compelled, don't top post. That's another one of those conventions.

RicodJour

See? It's not hard. You quoted, attributed and didn't top post. Excellent.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you replying to Goedjn and asking him for clarification using "he" instead of "you"?

RicodJour

Here's where it could get interesting, based on 1999 NEC Article 225, Outside branch circuits and feeders.

225-20 states "mechanical protection of conductors on buildings, structures, or poles shall be as provided for services in Section 230-50

Going to section 230-50. "Protection of open conductors and cables against damage-above ground", Section 230-50(b) exception: Type MI and Type MC cable shall be permitted within 10 ft of grade level where not exposed to physical damage or where protected in accordance with section 300-5(d) .

Section 300-5(d) refers to the minimum cover requirements for direct buried cable...

Assuming this hasn't changed in the latest NEC, I leave the interpretation to the rest of you...

Reply to
Rick

Ooops-my mistake! I thought you were running outlets on the OUTSIDE. Staying up too late, I guess...

Reply to
Rick

Thank you for taking the time to post Rick. I am sorry that I was not more clear that the outlets were inside because you clearly put work into your response. I have some photos up at the URL below which will hopefully give a clear notion of what is going on.

William

Reply to
William.Deans