Wiring New LED Ceiling Light Fixture for 1960s House

They do taks up some more room than the wire nuts. Then it depends on how many wires are being connected. It takes very little more room to connect 3 or 4 wires with a wire nut. Each wire must be put under a seperate leaver hole on the walnuts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Same with alumicons.

Of course, I don't mind giving up some room when making something safer, like re-doing an aluminum to copper wire nut connection.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I don't find them to take more space than wirenuts generally since you have more flexibility in how the wires enter the connector, so you can make the job much neater - you don't need to group the wires being connected as tightly as you would with a wirenut.

And much faster - time is money.

They're actually not much larger than a wirenut anyway. There are variants such as the ideal sure-push connectors which work well with solid and tinned wire, although I prefer the wago's for stranded THHN.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not always. I don't get paid for most of the stuff I do. It's family stuff when the kids buy a house, helping a friend upgrade a bathroom, etc.

I'll pay extra for ease of installation (e.g. a SharkBite here or there instead of hauling my sweating kit around. That type of thing.)

If these devices are easier to work with and don't take up anymore room in older (read: smaller) boxes, then I'll pay extra.

My problem with push pin connectors is that - unless I'm mistaken - you can't get them apart. I helped a friend install a fancy dancy exhaust fan with wireless control, BT speakers, etc. It had a push pin connector for the power wiring. When we couldn't get the wireless switch to pair with the fan, I couldn't do any basic trouble shooting without cutting the wires at the push block. If I did that, the push block would have been unusable and there wasn't enough wire beyond the block to wire nut the source wires to.

In the end, he said "cut it off, I'll just go buy a new fan." In the end, it turned out the fan was bad, so cutting the wires was the only way to uninstall it anyway.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Often it is less expensive to buy the more expensive connectors. The Sharkbite may cost a lot more than a sweat connection,but with plumbers costing for $ 50 to $ 100 an hour you often save a bunch in labor.

Then if you are doing it for yourself you may just want to take the easy way out.

I have not tried it,but the push in connectors I have state you can twist and pull the solid wire out,but to cut the stranded wire and bet a new connector. I do have some with a leaver on them that lets you reuse the connector many times.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery