wire twisting pliers

In the Emgo motorcycle tools catalog were wire twisting pliers. I just had a thread in alt.home.repair about what these pliers were for (because I just "inherited" a pair, just like the ones in the catalog)

What do they do with motorcycles?

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

I'm assuming you're talking about safety wire pliers? look here:

nate

Reply to
N8N

The same thing they do on airplanes; keep fasteners from backing out and for a similar reason. In a car, at least you are inside a metal box if say; the wheel falls off. Assuming you have any bolts or nuts that have the required holes for safety wire, they can be secured that way. If I still rode and was to ride on of those modern 200mph bikes, I think safety wire and loctite would be my constant companions.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Reply to
bamboo

These pliers can be used for genreal wire twisting of course, but their main purpose is to aid in installing safety wire on bolts & screws on various equipment and vehicles. Common on aircraft, race cars & motorcycles, etc.

A group of bolts, perhaps retaining a component on a larger assembly, will have small holes drilled through the bolt heads, perpendicular to the bolt shanks, i.e. through the flats on opposite sides of the bolt head. After all the bolts are installed and torqued, the wire is threaded through the holes and the pliers used to twist the ends of the wire together. When done properly, the wires are installed so that should one bolt loosen, it would tend to tighten the other bolt in group. This is done by crossing the wires appropriately. A picture would be better than this explanation, try some google images or ??? if you need more info.

Reply to
lwasserm

I get it now. I don't think my bike has any bolts or nuts with holes, so again, I was fooled.

Some day I hope to use my wire-twisting tool, but this will not be the day.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

Wow. I'm guess I won't be ready to race until I get those holes drilled. I'll get back to you in 40 years.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

kuddos, this was a good find.

thx,