Windows & Doors Esitmate in Maryland

I had someone come out from a local Windows and Doors place in Maryland to give me a quote for a new bedroom window, Patio door and Storm Door.

The cost of materials and labor came out to $4,820. Does this seem fair?

Reply to
badaczewski

I had someone come out from a local Windows and Doors place in Maryland to give me a quote for a new bedroom window, Patio door and Storm Door.

The cost of materials and labor came out to $4,820. Does this seem fair?

Reply to
badaczewski

It sounds enormous to me. Are you getting something special? What do other companies want?

By patio door, do you mean sliding glass door? That would be a lot more clear, since it describes the door and not where the door leads to.

Reply to
mm

Yes,

I'm trying to get a Argon filled low-e sliding Patio door and sliding bedroom window. Also, a storm door with no low-e glass or Argon. I'm unsure of how prices are out there. Lowes quoted me $2,809, so this is much higher.

I live in a condo and have a 8ft Patio door and 70X35 window. My front door is a standard 36" width.

Reply to
badaczewski

What is the breakdown of labor and material? You can price similar products at any box store and figure a 20% markup isn't too far off in price. Laborwise a storm door takes about an hour to install. A carpenter and helper should be able to hang the door and replace a window in a morning, so maybe six hours (12 man hours) at some logical rate. YMMV a whole lot, but the quote you have seems a bit high. Shop around and get more info on potential bidders, BBB, etc.

Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Wow, that seems steep to me. I agree with pricing the window and door yourself, then you be the judge as to whether it's too high, along with getting other quotes. Man, glad I do my own work. In fact, if you have a Lowe's or Home depot or Sears, they will give you price on installation.

Reply to
dreamchaser

I'm trying to get a Argon filled low-e sliding Patio door and sliding bedroom window. Also, a storm door with no low-e glass or Argon. I'm unsure of how prices are out there. Lowes quoted me $2,809, so this is much higher.

I live in a condo and have a 8ft Patio door and 70X35 window. My front door is a standard 36" width.

I did get a pricematch and negotiatied a lower price of $3,488.

Reply to
badaczewski

Whatever that means...

Installing doors and windows can be pretty straightforward, or fraught with difficulty, especially doors. Any idiot can put a door in place, no idiot can install a door properly.

You should get estimates of three companies and keep in mind that the lowest price doesn't always represent the best value.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey."- Widely attributed -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

depending on the installation it could be this high (not knowing what type of siding or trim work you have) not to mention that every brand is not the same. example: the same size door from 3 different mfgr's will all be different in price for materials. and the cheaper the door, the more expensive the install (less quality doors take longer for installation).

the lowest bidding contractor is usually the one with less experience. thats why the big stores sub out the work to the lowest bidders. any quality contractor does not sub from big stores.

Reply to
3G

Fair? I don't know, but my brother paid $32 grand for a car - was that a good deal?

All such questions can only be answered locally. Maryland covers a lot of economic territory. Get another estimate or two and make sure everyone is bidding on the exact same work.

RicodJour