Window replacement exterior trim

Need advice on exterior trim. Want to install a 1x4 exterior casing around new vinyl windows in an existing aluminum sided house. Would like to know what to do with the siding which will die at the new 1x4. I will be cutting the aluminum back to accomodate the 1x4 and painting the casing in anticipation of a new siding job someday. Can I apply a J channel to the aluminum? Does anyone make a J that has a nailing flange on the window side which can be buried behind a casing or a brickmold? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mike korenchuk

J channel would be the right answer - with sill trim underneath the window. I don't know of anyone that makes one that installs "backward" with the nailing strip on teh window side. Udually you'd remove (or at least loosen) the siding, install teh J, then re-nail everything....

-_JD

Reply to
jduprie

slide new J behind alum than apply the casing and "cheat nail" i.e. use trim nails with a punch and nail though the side of the J into the new casing. You would be better off to cover the new case with alum. Windows are no paint and siding is no paint. A lot easier to wrap the case than cut in with a few coats of paint.

Reply to
calhoun