window question

Buy double window. In double window one side of the frame is shared by two adjacent windows. Entire frame is manufactured at the factory. It is much easier to install then two windows separately, I also like how double window looks. I installed myself two Andersen casement double windows in my house and like them very much.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

Hi everyone. I am replacing 2 windows in my dining room. The windows are side by side, but operate separately (each are opened separately, have their own screens, etc.), but here is my question. Are these windows that are side by side 2 single windows purchased separately, but mounted side by side, or do the 2 windows come as one whole unit (piece) already placed and attached side by side when purchased from the store? Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

What you have is a "mulled pair", that is a pair of windows joined by a mullion into a single unit. When you go window shopping, tell them you have a mulled pair and they will know exactly what you are talking about. Be aware that the mullion may add anywhere from 3/8" to 3/4" to the overall width depending on the type and brand of window so be sure and ask the window dealer how wide the unit will be with the mullion.

John

Reply to
John‰]

"John?] wrote

Ummmmmm, some windows especially in older construction are _not_ mulled. Assuming they are mulled you would be correct, but as we all know, assumption is a bad thing to do. The OP would be wise to get someone to put a visual on the project b/4 ordering mulled windows, otherwise they may find themselves in a bigger project than they need to tackle. I see single units side by side in homes 30 years young, being divided by 2"x material in between. If the header doesn't run the full length of both windows, you don't cut out the center divide unless you want to make the project a little more challenging by putting in a full length header.

Reply to
johnny

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote

Eric,

You may have double/single hung which are mulled together, or you may have double/single hung which is one unit but looks like two with a center divider, or you may have two units with a 2x divider. You should have someone look to see exactly what you're dealing with.

Here is a link to Andersen (name for example only, not endorsing the product) stock sizes of casements to use as an example. If nothing else, you can mull around their site of different window styles. Keep in mind, you can get just about any configeration custom made by just about any window manufacturer.

johnny

Thanks for your help johnny. You definitely gave me lots of information. I am glad you answered my question. Anytime I have gone to Lowe's or Home Depot, I have never seen what you mentioned, one window unit, but looks like two separate windows with the center divider, but I will take your word for it, especially since I haven't really looked for them. I imagine these would be easier to install, if this is an option for me, than doing the two single units mulled, or two single units with a 2x divider. Now that I know they exist, it will give me more options. Is this something a professional can tell right away by looking at the window setup, or will he have to take off the moulding to get a look at the rough opening?

Eric and Megan Swope

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote

Any window installer should be able to measure without pulling casing off. Most remodelers would be able to tell you also.

Reply to
johnny