Window AC drain

I have a window AC in my 2nd floor apartment that is running constantly during the summer, and, as a result, drips a lot of water onto the patio below. I would like to run a flexible pipe down to a sewer drain, but I'm not sure how to connect to the the AC steel drain pan. At the front/corner/bottom edge of the unit, there is a 1/2"-3/4" hole on the side of the pan (not the bottom), so I'm not sure if that's the only place it will drip from. I'm having help to install the AC this weekend, so I'd like to have a good setup in place (since I won't be able to take it down alone to make adjustments later). Any advice or experience? Also what type of hose/piping would I need to get? Thanks.

Reply to
mchorze

Also wanted to add:

After reading through some more topics here, I found this info:

So I think that hole is supposed to be plugged on my 5-year-old AC.

However, my landlord believes that if its not dripping out, then it's draining into the walls. So I may have to live with lower efficiency and a leak.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas!

Reply to
mch

How much water if any a window a/c drips depends on how humid it is where you live. If it is very humid, more condensation will be produced, and less will be evaporated by being splashed onto the condenser coil. In drier areas, the opposite will be true, and the unit may not drip any. What I would do in your situation is find, make, or have made, a pan about 1" deep that will fit under the unit and has some sort of fitting that you can attatch a hose or pipe to, and run it to whatever location you want. You may be able to fasten the front edge to the wall, and hang the rear from the unit sloping down a little with wire on each side so you do not have to drill or screw into the unit and risk hitting a ref line. This will give you the best of both worlds-- you will still have the cooling of the condenser coils from the water, and divert any excess. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

If it was me, I would keep it simple so I can clean it out. I would just run a tube, purchased from like home depot, that fit a funnel I picked up at the store, and make a catch drain. Take a little silicone(don't go crazy, you want to be able to remove it later) and attacth the funnel under the drippin spot(the drain). Support the tube all the way to the ground, and let it empty to the soil.

Now this is all just a guess, since I can't actually your setup, but the principle is the same, keep it simple seriously.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great