Why there will be no XL pipeline: Warren Buffett

Simple solution.

Instead of running the high speed trains to Detroit, run them _from_ Detroit.

Reply to
Dan Espen

gosh, I wonder who funded the original Transcontinental Railroad?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Heh heh. I though you were gonna say it ran on wood chippings. There was experimental commercial jets running on bio fuel over here years ago. I seem to remember there were viscosity problems when it got very cold. Dunno if they were resolved. Bio fuel is not the answer anyway, it takes up agricultural space and needs fuel (for agricultural tractors & other stuff ) to make it.

harry

747? Obsolete.

Is that so? Boeing tried and failed. They even got hold of a Concordski but still failed.

harry

*
  • Not very practical because of cost and how do you make points for such a train? plans to build more are suspended.
* *

  • That train is years old. The fastest trains in the UK run through the Channel tunnel to continental Europe at speeds of up to 200mph

There are plans for an even faster one from London to Scotland at speeds of up to 250mph intially though the line is to be designed for up to 300mph.

* *

We might. We were the first to build tunnels under water and invented the technology to do it.

You Yanks are such stick-in-the-muds.

Reply to
harry

Well I suppose it might seem magic to hillbillys and rednecks. i

Reply to
harry

ALL your land is stolen from the indians.

Reply to
harry

I hard they were going to China for the trains for that one.

Reply to
harry

Yeah. Detriot. The monument to American capitalism. The taxpayer will be left to clear things up. OH wait, Warren Buffet might pay?

Reply to
harry

om...

Not very practical.

But don't joke Duf. The Germans have wind turbines sited alongside their railways to help power the HS trains.

Reply to
harry

All you do is use solar and windmill powered tractors. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The operative word is "help". ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 3/11/13 4:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ir land, since the railroad is already in place.

Soil erosion is one potential problem. It shouldn't be as bad as in days past due to conservation tillage practices farmers use now.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Is that so? Even if it were true, it took Airbus 40+ years to build a plane that competes with what Boeing had in 1968. And Boeing still has orders for hundreds of 747's. Most of the demand for what would have been 747's has not gone to the A380. It's gone to planes like the 777, twin engine, less expensive to operate. That the 747 is a spectacular success is indisputable. Boeing has built 1500 of them so far.

The story of the A380 has only just begun. And it's rather odd that you of all people would be trumpting it because you're the one complaining about putting people on crowded planes. The double deck A380 is the crowning achievement of that.......

quoted text -

They did not try and fail. They and the US govt realized after a few years of development work that SST aircraft for commercial use did not make sense. Instead of putting their money into what would have bankrupted the company, Boeing put it all on the 747s. Such spectacular aircraft that virtually all the long haul airlines in the world bought them and most still fly them today, including British Airways. I've flown a lot and the only airline that ever lost my luggage, couldn't tell me where it was, couldn't get it to me at the hotel even days later, never found it period, was BA.

You geniuses Britts and the French bet your money on the Concorde. The results:

Boeing 747: 1,500 built, still being built, still flying, a huge private economic success Concorde: 20 built, none flying, an economic disaster, funded by taxpayers

Reply to
trader4

# # Yeah. Detriot. The monument to American capitalism. # The taxpayer will be left to clear things up. # OH wait, Warren Buffet might pay?

Once again you are seriously confused Actually, right up to the 50s, Detroit was a monument to American Capitalism Then the progressives and unions came online and destroyed the city

Reply to
Attila Iskander

YOU were the one demanding high speed trains, crowing about how essential they are for transportation. YOU dragged the Chinese into it, as examples of folks that are deploying them, that are smarter than the USA, that know what they are doing. So, I give you an example of one of the Chinese trains that I have actual experience riding on, and now you piss all over it. You really are the village idiot. Why do you persist in embarrassing yourself here?

So is Eurostar.

That's a lie. A one time test record is not a train in actual service. The actual top speed of the Eurostar service from London to Paris is 186mph. So here you are, telling us how the USA has no high speed trains and in reality, only one small section of railroad in the UK is any faster than Amtrak's Acela. That being the Eurostar between London and the Chunnel. And it reaches a top speed of 186mph, vs 150mph for Amtrak. And about this, you're bragging? I suppose you brag because your penis is 1/4" bigger than the average groundhog too.

I have plans too for a brain transplant for you. Plans real lines today.

Reply to
trader4

# # Heh heh. I though you were gonna say it ran on wood chippings. # There was experimental commercial jets running on bio fuel # over here years ago. # I seem to remember there were viscosity problems when # it got very cold. Dunno if they were resolved. # Bio fuel is not the answer anyway, it takes up agricultural space # and needs fuel (for agricultural tractors & other stuff ) to make it. # #

#

Hell. We'll just use progressives like harry for the biomass. There is a plentiful and self-replenishing supply And they're so full of shit, that they're already half-processed. And considering how stupid and unproductive they are, no one will miss them.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

# # Well I suppose it might seem magic to hillbillys and rednecks. i

#

Well, that does explain why your so wowed by them. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Thanks for the clarification. How about other issues, like track radiuses needed to support high speed? Or just the number of tracks. Like if you tried to run a train at 200mph, would it work without it's own, seperate tracks? I'm thinking you still have local trains going 50mph, using those same tracks. It's not just Boston, NYC, DC. I'm suspecting that may be a big part of the problem with Acela, no? That you can't keep a wide open track in front of it? And then if you need to widen the radius, install new track that's not within the current right-of-way, etc, it would get very costly, very quickly.

Reply to
trader4

... by Englishmen.

Reply to