Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

I always wondered about the honey part of the equation. There was a company in Polson MT that made bee wood, and I took a load to several places in South Dakota and that when I first learned about how many miles a bee colony might travel as they were shipped around for pollination. The almond ranchers are just interested in getting their groves pollinated but I assume the bee are doing their bee thing all the time, making honey and little bees.

We used to have cattle rustlers -- now it's bee rustlers:

rbowman

I suspect it has nothing to do with the processing cost which is probably miniscule.

If it is a low volume item requiring special labeling and packaging line, and additional testing for safety that may be why it is more expensive.

Reply to
Frank

Frank"

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The USA seems to be turning into a minocracy. Some group or other wants raw honey, and the world caters to the interests of the minority. I don't see us majority types being able to do anything about it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Frank

Frank"

Reply to
Terry Coombs

And what's up with organic sugar?

If someone is concerned about their health, they wouldn't be eating sugar.

And if the don't care about their health, they might as well eat the cheap high-fructose corn syrup crap.

Reply to
Euell Gibbons

A few years ago, there was a spike in the price of pure honey. KFC switched to dispensing packets of "honey sauce" for their biscuts. Basicly corn syrup with food coloring.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Reply to
Muggles

Reply to
Frank

Sea salt is also another one. Salt from sea water versus salt mine. Both are still sodium chloride.

Reminds me of a time I was working on a food packaging problem with a Campbell Soup lab. One day they brought in pallets of soup and opened the cases and punctured the cans with an ice pick. They said they were headed for the dump. Somebody forgot to add salt to the batch. I have to laugh as that was 25 years ago and now they'd probably sell it as a premium low salt product.

Friend said as a kid, he worked in one of their factories and said he had the hardest job because he was a salter and had to haul big bags around.

Reply to
Frank

What brand is that? With Kraft, for example, the price is uniform across the Miracle Whip/Mayonaisse regular, low fat, and non-fat line. some of the brands that tout olive oil as an ingredient are more expensive but reading the label suggests they wave an olive at a barrel of canola and call it good.

The amount of high fructose corn syrup also seems to be inversely proportional to the fat content.

Reply to
rbowman

I forget the weasel word, but there's also the maple syrup that's made by dropping a maple leaf into a drum of corn syrup. When I was a kid having a bottle of Karo syrup on the table was the hallmark of a low rent, white trash existence.

Reply to
rbowman

Reply to
Muggles

Reply to
Frank

ahhh! Thanks for answering. :)

Reply to
Muggles

Well, Duh! Doesn't everybody know that? ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Yeah, I keep a jug of 16 chain hydrocarbons just for oil cleanups and get rid of excess fat on a roast.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL That's a lot better reply than mine.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Corn syrup is so called double molecule sugar. Major contributor for obesity. Real sugar is single molecule sugar.

Reply to
Tony Hwang