Honey as substitute rooting Hormone

For one of my college assignements i have been looking at propagation methods and came across an article that said that you could use honey as a substitute for your commercial rooting hormones. I was wondering if anybody else had heard of this or even tried it out for themselves

Reply to
Eames

Stick with testosterone.

David Hare-Scott

I'm a hobbiest beekeeper.

Dunno about as a rooting _hormone_, but honey has natural antibacterial properties, and as such, may benefit the health of the cutting.

It's been used as a wound dressing and to preserve broken teeth (really!). I've personally used honey with success on bandages myself

- no neosporin, etc.

Note there's a marked difference between most store bought processed honey (much of which has been "cooked" to some degree), and "raw" honey (which is straight from the hive and run through basic filters, nothing more. The enzymes in Raw honey will still be viable.

For rooting, I've had good success with "willow tea" (I've got a willow tree, so this is a no-brainer).

Reply to
Sean Straw

Nope. However, it might be worth a try if you've got a few spare inches of propagation mat free -- the osmotic effect may be enough to induce a better wound response in some species. But on the whole, I suspect IBA and its ilk is going to do better.

Agricola has this: Influence of bee?s honey, IBA (indole butyric acid) and the cutting form on the rooting of cocoa cuttings.

Title: Pengaruh madu lebah, IBA dan bentuk setek terhadap perakaran setek kakao. Author(s): Prawoto, A.A. Saleh, M. Found In: Menara perkebunan. Menara Perkebunan 1983. v. 51 (1) p. 7-16. but my experience is cacao is hard to root.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

willow tea> a.k.a. salicylic acid> a.k.a. aspirin

For what it's worth

-----

feeling under the weather? Give them aspirin water!

By Marion Owen, Fearless Weeder for PlanTea, Inc. and Co-author of Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul

aspirin"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."

We've all heard that advice from doctors. And moms have been dispensing this all-purpose cure-all to their families as a standard way of providing relief from headaches and sniffles, muscle aches and joint pain.

Then it should be no surprise to learn how an important aspirin ingredient--salicylic acid--is being used as an Earth-friendly first aid for warding off plant diseases.

Meet Martha McBurney, the master gardener in charge of the demonstration vegetable garden at the University of Rhode Island. In the summer of

2005 she tested aspirin water on tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, basil and other plants after reading about it in a gardening publication called the Avant Gardener (PO Box 489, New York, NY 10028). The results were well, astonishing...

"What caught my eye in the original Avant Gardener article was it said that aspirin is an activator of Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR). And that plants, when under stress, naturally produce salicylic acid, but not fast enough and in sufficient quantities to really help them out in time. So the bugs get them, and diseases get them, and they show even more stress.

"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.

How much, and how often

The dosage that Martha used was 1.5 [uncoated] aspirins to 2 gallons of water. She also added 2 tablespoons of yucca extract to help the aspirin water stick to the leaves better. (The yucca extract can be substituted with a mild liquid soap.) Martha explained that the yucca (or soap) prevents the aspirin water from beading up and rolling off leaves of broccoli and kale leaves. Finally, she sprayed the plants every 3 weeks.

The summer when Martha first started testing aspirin water, was not the best, weather-wise. It was cool, rainy and damp. "But what happened was, by the end of the season, the plants in the raised beds with the aspirin water looked like they were on steroids!

"The plants were huge, and green and with no insects. We even saw some disease problems that reversed themselves. We think we got a virus on the cucumbers, and they aspirin water seemed to reverse it. The cucumbers ended up being very healthy."

Aspirin improves seed germination

Martha also sprayed the aspirin water on the seeds they directly sowed in the ground. The result, they discovered was 100 percent seed germination, compared to spotty germination in the other trial beds.

Scientists at the University of Arizona and with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), curious about findings such as what Martha experienced, are studying how salicylic acid prods plants into releasing their natural defenses against harmful fungi, bacteria and viruses. According to an article by Dean Fosdick of the Associated Press, "They envision it as a commercially viable alternative to synthetic pesticides in a natural way to extend the life of susceptible yet popular crops."

Is it organic? Well, not really. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is 'derived' from the white willow tree, Salix alba. Studies are now being conducted on plants using pure willow extracts to compare the effects to aspirin.

cut flowers

Cut flowers that last forever?

Well, not quite. But current research may explain a modern-old wives' tale of adding an aspirin to a vase of cut flower to keep the blooms fresh longer. Here's the explanation: The cutting of flowers is perceived by the plant as a wound, and so it stimulates the production of a substance that not only helps the plant fight off bugs, but also hastens aging or wilting, such as in the case of a cut flower.

Aspirin halts the formation of the substance, which in turn, keeps the flowers looking young and not wilting prematurely. (For more helpful tips about keeping cut flowers looking fresh, naturally, click here).

Scientists laughed, at first

Plants weren't the only things affected by the aspirin water. At first, scientists at the University of Rhode Island gave Martha a bad time about her experiments. Teased her, mostly. But by the end of the summer, they were so impressed that they are now conducting their own formal investigations.

healthy houseplant

"I've recommended it to just about everybody. The people who've tried it, that is, people who grow from oats to orchids, have found that plants do remarkably better when given small amounts of aspirin water. I've tried it on my houseplants, and it does really well. Plants are more vigorous and I'm having fewer problems with aphids and the typical things that can build up on houseplants over the winter."

aspirin on plants"Uh, Martha," I broke in. "My husband is losing his hair. Maybe I should try aspirin water."

Martha didn't miss a beat. "Well, hey, you could give it a go!"

So the next time your plant is looking a little feverish or flushed, consider reaching for some aspirin for treating what ails it.

------------

3 baby aspirin with 4 gal of water = 1:10,000, the recommended dosage. [That is 243mg aspirin:512oz water.] (Notice how the ounces of water seems to be double the mg of aspirin amount?!)

? of an adult aspirin with 4 gal of water = 1:10,000, the recommended dosage. [That is 243.75mg aspirin:512oz water.]

I think it would be more like 1/5th of an adult aspirin to 1 gal of water. [That is 65mg aspirin:128oz water.]

Seems ? aspirin (162.5mg) would need to be mixed with approx double that number in ounces (325), or about 2? gal.

? aspirin (81.25mg) would be much easier to measure than 1/5th of an aspirin. Mix would be about 81mg aspirin:163oz water, or about 1? gal water.

Following this through, about the smallest you could reasonably go would be: 1/8 aspirin (40.625mg) would mix with 81.5oz water, or about 2? quarts.

Will add more links as find them and/or have the time... send me links if you have them, please!!

----------

H2O2

1 oz 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 quart water

16 drops of 35% hydrogen peroxide to 1 quart water

Mist and, or water plants.

---------

Reply to
Billy

Asprin is derived from the bark of a specific species of willow. The Auxins which promote root development are found in abundance across pretty much the entire willow family.

google: auxin willow rooting

Reply to
Sean Straw

You said that you have used honey to dress wounds, do you know what it is within the honey that helps heal wounds as i would presume that it would be the same elements that would help to callus over the cutting to promote the root developement

Reply to
Eames

I wouldn't assume that, these are quite different processes in quite different environments.

David Hare-Scott

Originally made from willow, now from coal tar. It's made far too cheaply and in too huge quantities to be made from a natural, herbal source.

Reply to
Father Haskell

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when the cuttings are taken.

Reply to
Father Haskell

The sugar content would substitute for the sap lost when

Really? How does this work?

Reply to
Gunner

ies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, thos= e who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending mone= y alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scient= ists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any tr= ue sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iro= n.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

***Hasn''t the efficacy of Echinacea been disproved?

HB

[...snip...]
Reply to
Higgs Boson

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I'm guess that someone believes that honey or sugar syrup equates to sap because it has a similar consistency. Seems to me, the part of the plant which would be uptaking fluid would already be in moist media (or directly in water).

If you took a mid-branch cutting (i.e. there's an exposed cut at the top of the cutting), I could see a potential benefit to sealing that off with some grafting wax, beeswax, or other graft sealer, so that the cutting itself doesn't weep and expends less energy to scar over. That is, if you seal it off, you can put off the scar formation until after there are roots forming and the cutting is more equipped with energy/nutrient uptake to support the healing.

Reply to
Sean Straw

Then someone doesn't understand growth hormone & signal response,

Don't believe there is a need for sealing the end of proper cuttings a

Reply to
Gunner

It should replace carbohydrates lost when the cutting was severed from its roots, helping it survive if it roots slowly. Not that I've had that problem, it's just a hypothetical.

I'd toss the cutting, since without apical meristem, it's not producing auxins.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I get that it is hypothetical, and not a very accurate one at that.

Also not true! You need to review your subject matter more carefully.

Reply to
Gunner