Why don't they do this for bike races?

Get a 18 speed bike and ride around in its highest speed only. You'll then have your answer. Even a slight hill will defeat you.

There's a reason why they make zillion speed bikes in the first place.

Reply to
Volney

Yes.

They are called coaster brakes in the US and up until somewhere around the 60's were the predominant kid's bike as only well to do parents would buy a kid a bike with gears.

That changed as cheap, imported bikes with derailleurs started to become available.

Prior to about the end of the 20th Century there were very few adults riding bicycles in the US.

Reply to
Jim Pennino

On the OP bike, be prepared to be thrown off the bike or break your leg if you need to stop quick then.

Reply to
Bob F

But no reason the highest gear isn't high enough. They make the same mistake with cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

With balloon tires and a coaster brake... I thought I was moving up in the world when I got a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer 'English' bike.

They did have fixed track bikes back then too but very few were crazy enough to ride them on the street like the current minor fad.

Reply to
rbowman

It wasn't simultaneous but I managed to blow both on a very long winding downhill run. If I'd spit on the rims they would have sizzled. Disk brakes rule.

Reply to
rbowman

Once again we have a leftpondian thinking his nation is the world. In Europe and in the UK the whole market is completely different

There are at least 5 types of bikes available here, gear and brake wise Single speed locked pedals single speed reverse pedals to brake single speed freewheel. Multi speed hub gears (Sturmey Archer) Multi speed Derailleur gears.

To claim that there is 'only one type' is as errroneous and parochial as to claim "Prior to about the end of the 20th Century there were very few adults riding bicycles in the US"

Maybe, but in Europe we never stopped riding them, in quantity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the video he got up to 64 km/h.

A typical cyclist can pedal at a cadence of 120 revolutions per minute Hence they can achieve 64km/h with normal 50/10 cogs.

revs per second: ~120/60 = 2 wheel circumference: 2m gearing x5

Speed 2*2*5 = 20 m/s Speed 20*3600/1000 = 72 km/h

Optimal cadence is 60-100 revs per minute.

The limiting factor is cyclist power, not gearing.

Reply to
Pancho

It has quite a history.

And even that doesn't have every innovation. There were shaft-drive bicycles (no chain), and there is some sort of auto-shifting bicycle currently under development. There are also bicycles using belt drive instead of chain drive.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No shit?

That was my main point.

Who was claiming 'only one type' as it certainly wasn't me?

Different cultures and different conditions.

Reply to
Jim Pennino

I was surprised to see a bicycle with pneumatic tires on wooden rims in a museum but apparently you can still get them.

I had thought it was a museum related to the fort but the article mentions the upgrade to metal rims because wood didn't stand up well.

I have one of these since I wanted a full sized folding bike, not one of the ones with tiny clown wheels. The hype is it was developed for military use but I have no idea if it was ever used in that context. It does work well and I can carry in the car rather than on a rack exposed to weather and theft.

Reply to
rbowman

I would not like to pedal at 120 rev/min for long, it's called twiddling, you're past the top of the power curve of your buttocks and thighs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey